Can it be done?

Post electrical issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

SammySJ99
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Can it be done?

Post by SammySJ99 »

I have a 1989 Cabby, I plan on redoing the body work on the car and making a few small changes. I am now 100% on anything as of now but here are a few ideas.

adding power doors and wondows, my windows are so hard to roll don't right now unless it is hot outside (its a lube thing i think) So I want to make them electric so I just don't have to deal with it...
Cars I have owned:

78 VW Rabbit (RIP)
94 Ford Mustang
02 Ford Mustang
04 Dodge SRT-4 (RIP)
89 W Rabbit (current)
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991

Post by sixsracing »

Power windows can be added, find a wreck with all the electrics and have at it. It's not gonna be a job you pull off in a morning though, maybe a weekend.

I'm not sure what you mean by power doors, locks maybe?

It is quite possible to fix the manual windows so that they work correctly. Probably take you a 1/10 of the time and virtually no investment.
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
SammySJ99

Post by SammySJ99 »

Yes sorry power door locks LOL sorry I forget these things sometimes...
Cars I have owned:

78 VW Rabbit (RIP)
94 Ford Mustang
02 Ford Mustang
04 Dodge SRT-4 (RIP)
89 W Rabbit (current)
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy

Post by sixsracing »

It can be done, but VW never did it in a Mk1 chassis to my knowledge. So you would need to get aftermarket switches and solenoids and make them fit, unless you can find a kit on the net. It's a good question, I don't think I have ever even thought about it.

Anybody seen an electric or vacuum operated door lock kit for a Mk1?
98 Beetle, red
Cogito Ergo Zoom
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Certainly, 16v scirocco's use vac door locks. They tend to be a royal PITA (an I should know) but they have them. Since it's also on the same chasis, means the wiring from the rocco will be long enough to work in the cabby as well.

Reminds me, I need to yank some of that system from my parts car and fix the unlocking issue I've been having lately with my DD.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

I don't see any issues in installing power locks. But I would consider going a step further and removing the electric door handles and install door latches. The big difference here is the body work that will be required to "fill in" the doors.

The advantage is it provides a verry clean look to the car.

As far as power windows go... I have to agree that it would be better to pull the door cards and clean up the gears along with a good lubricatio.

By the time you find the motors, gears and design the electrical harness (and a pile of other things) the cost would add up quick. Then there would be the problem of "plugging up the door cards where the cranks used to be.

Well my 2 cents worth.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Most Dodge Vans have electric locks. You could possibly get a pair of the solenoids and silicone wire ( very flexible won't break in the door bend), and wire them to a switch on the dash through a relay. As a matter of fact you could also wire a switch for the locks that when you open the drivers door with a key you will open the other lock. Total cost would be bown as you are getting parts from a wrecker. Micro switch would also have to come out of the locking mech. doable, but is it really neseccasary?

Naw locks are for honest people.
Convertible tops are soooo easy to break in to....lol
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy

Post by sixsracing »

I haven't had much opportunity to wrench on Scirroco's and didn't realize they had electric door locks. Good knowledge.
98 Beetle, red
Cogito Ergo Zoom
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

I wouldn't call what the scirocco has "electric" While it's true some electricity is involved, it's reall all about the suck....Er vacuum rather. It's really not a bad system, but it will certainly piss ya off when it doesn't want to work. When it's working well, it's great though.

However, as far as I know, only the 16v's had the central locking feature. 16v years were 86.5', 87' and 88'.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
SammySJ99

Post by SammySJ99 »

I really want the power windows and doors. Remembering to lock everything is a pain in my butt... Only because I have had power everything on every car I have had with the exception of the VW's...
Bothe the Mustangs had power seats, window, and door locks. The dodge had power everything except the seats...
Cars I have owned:

78 VW Rabbit (RIP)
94 Ford Mustang
02 Ford Mustang
04 Dodge SRT-4 (RIP)
89 W Rabbit (current)
J-Dub

Post by J-Dub »

My Audi Coupe had the vacuum locks. Probably the same system as the scirocco. Your right they are a PITA sometimes they would work most of the time they wouldn't. Is your pump in the trunk or is it located elsewhere?
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

yea, it's burried in the pass side rear quater panel. The pump in my rocco is fine, but the activator switch in the drivers door seems ot be the problem. I have a spare, just hate taking the door panels off. On a rocco they are a major PITA :D
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
J-Dub

Post by J-Dub »

Yeah man I hear ya, the last time i took the door panel off my coupe i just left it off, but I put the arm rest back on with no door panel it looked sooo bad. Be glad you don't have any power options, its just less electrical crap to go wrong.your arm will never short out and not roll up your window :P
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Oh, I have the electrical options. The rocco is power windows, vacc locks, power mirrors, power steering, power assist brakes, powerful pain in the ass.......
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

J-Dub wrote:Be glad you don't have any power options, its just less electrical crap to go wrong.your arm will never short out and not roll up your window :P
Calimus wrote:Oh, I have the electrical options. The rocco is power windows, vacc locks, power mirrors, power steering, power assist brakes, powerful pain in the ass.......
:thumbup: :thumbup: :D