Coils?

This is for all you AutoX and rally types. We all know you love your suspension hacks so here is a place to talk about them.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

turbo_cabby
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Coils?

Post by turbo_cabby »

Anyone on here have pics of there cabby on coils...looking for cabbys hugging the ground 8)
GTi 337
SVT Focus
86' Cabby Wolf <---turbo project
kuklaki
Admin Type Person
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by kuklaki »

No pics quite yet, as the Cabby is in major 4x4 mode, on jackstands even.
Although we are not planning on slamming her-some of the roads out here can be pretty rough, and she will be back to my daily driver once the work is done. Chaeck back for progress pics later on this months :P
Oh yeah, and welcome to TRF!!
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)
turbo_cabby

Post by turbo_cabby »

kuklaki wrote:No pics quite yet, as the Cabby is in major 4x4 mode, on jackstands even.
Although we are not planning on slamming her-some of the roads out here can be pretty rough, and she will be back to my daily driver once the work is done. Chaeck back for progress pics later on this months :P
Oh yeah, and welcome to TRF!!
thanks...def :::thumbs up::: to SoCal_Cabby for the reference to here...ive been a member of the vortex for a while and usually get bashed for just bein curious....
GTi 337
SVT Focus
PDX Cabby
The Living Bentley Manual
What year is your cabby?: 1985

Post by PDX Cabby »

don't have coils, but i think that they're not all that neccessary with A1 VWs because you can't lower them too much anyways. Anything more than 50mm up front and you start pointing your A-Arms skywards which changes the steering geometry towards the bad.

if you're going to keep it 50mm or less and building a track only car and putting the coils on to corner ballance the car, then go for it. Or, if you're building a show car and wanna dump the car on its nuts, then go for it. But like i said, handling will suffer
85 Cab - 1.9L 8v, g-grind, euro dual downs to TT race w/ Borla, VWMS fuel dizzy, 2H tranny with 5th gear swap, TT short shift, FK 60/40, 15" BBS RA, rear disks... begging for boost...
turbo_cabby

Post by turbo_cabby »

PDX Cabby wrote:don't have coils, but i think that they're not all that neccessary with A1 VWs because you can't lower them too much anyways. Anything more than 50mm up front and you start pointing your A-Arms skywards which changes the steering geometry towards the bad.

if you're going to keep it 50mm or less and building a track only car and putting the coils on to corner ballance the car, then go for it. Or, if you're building a show car and wanna dump the car on its nuts, then go for it. But like i said, handling will suffer

any pics of how low your car is?
GTi 337
SVT Focus
PDX Cabby

Post by PDX Cabby »

http://www.hotdub.com/pictures/albums/u ... bfront.jpg

the rear is height adjustable and i plan on lowering it one of these days
the front drop is about 60mm which i don't recomment any lower....
85 Cab - 1.9L 8v, g-grind, euro dual downs to TT race w/ Borla, VWMS fuel dizzy, 2H tranny with 5th gear swap, TT short shift, FK 60/40, 15" BBS RA, rear disks... begging for boost...
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

yea, coils are not for daily driin, unless you have a arse made of granit and you have perfect roads.

My fav combo for lowering the car is H&R soft sport springs w/bilstine/koni shocks and struts. You get a nice 1.3inch front lower with a 1.25 in the rear. Gives the car a nice raked stance, looks low and doesn't knock the fillings out of your teeth when you come acrossed rough roads.

This is the combo that I'll be using on the wifes cabby since I already have it on my 16v rocco. Here is how my rocco looked after the suspension went on.

And here is what it looked like before the H&R's, can you say 4x4
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
turbo_cabby

Post by turbo_cabby »

nice, clean rocoo....but <-----im still a kid...looking for something huggin the road....i live on the east coast (jersey shore) and the roads around here are not bad...this isn't going to be a daily driver. And even the road to englishtown is fine...someone posted earlier (sorry im not quoting) that my a-arms will be pointing at the sky and i will lose all handling...but while looking through some sites for suspension parts i found a-arms specifically for lowered cars...i will try and find a link and re-post
GTi 337
SVT Focus
PDX Cabby

Post by PDX Cabby »

please do
i've not seen them for A1 VWs ever
there are a few people that have tried ball joint extensions only to have them break...