Loose Steering column

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

MilesCamp
What year is your cabby?: 1990
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Loose Steering column

Post by MilesCamp »

My wife bought a 1990 Cabriolet that she paid too much for. It looks very nice however it has some issues. One is the steering column - it moves. Primarily up and down but a little side to side also. Where are the mounts located, not counting the linkage is there more than one mount keeping it rigid?

Cheers,
Miles
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Loose Steering column

Post by Briano1234 »

That is usually a sign that the lower steering bearing has moved out of position. At the bottom of the outer shaft if you see a white or yellowed thing that is sticking out, then push it back up in place and hold in position with wire ties and or a hose clamp, and consider it a permanent fix.

You can source new bearings....Mk1autohaus, vwheritage, and werk34.dr used to sell them.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Loose Steering column

Post by Briano1234 »

There are clean and clear take-aways on your steering wheel if you remove it because of the advent of the airbag that you have to follow, but you don't have to remove it to check the position of the lower bearing or to shove it back up in place.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy: