Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

A/C Blower Motor Replacement tips.

Post by Briano1234 »

See Steves great thread on the tex.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.p ... t111927473

A few new tips and Tricks I have learned....

When trying to replace the cover and the bolts I found that on the blower cover if I Super glued the nut to my finger tip, I could feel the front screw via the Fresh air intake hole and tighten the nut till it pulled off my finger tip easy with the super glue Then Using a pair of needle nose I could hold and fully tighten it.

On the Drivers side Screw.
I super glued the screw to the washer and the rubber washer. I inserted the screw and super glued the rubber washer to the fan cover and applied pressure till it set about 2 minutes. I could then get under the dash with a socket and the nut threaded easily and fully tightened. Since super glue is water soluble I think that in 10-12 years it will be easy to remove.

I also found that the fresh air inlet originally had foam over and under the flapper. I removed the cover and when extracting the flapper I had to align the key on the servo mechanism to disengage the flapper from the arm. It pulled out with a slight bind. I removed the old dead foam with wd-40, followed with a wipe of brake-klean along with a good brushing of hot soapy water. I added new foam and it is quiet and totally sealed in Max re-circ.

Clean it good after removing the covers

Oh and don't forget to check the Ground wire on the plug.... It was toasty bad, and I cut the wire on the new motor at the plug and used a yellow Insulated male connector on it. It was easier to do off the car, and can be inserted or removed easily as it still fits through the grommet hole.

I ran a new ground from the frame to the plug, I didn't bother with cutting the old wire and butt-to-butt connecting it. I used a ring connector and 12g wire drilled a pilot hole, sanded the area around the pilot and used a sheet metal screw to get it in the firewall.

New motor runs really quiet, blows a hurricane now.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy: