The past week in Car repair

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: The past week in Car repair

Post by Briano1234 »

Well the Green one started to act up... Son said the power steering stopped....a few times.
Well I finally found one for less than one hundred bucks new not re-manned... as I took the old one off I saw that the upper pivot bolt was missing.
This is the second time it went missing......
Well as usual run to the hardware store (True-Value Howards Bros.) and got a M8X140X28 grade 10 bolt 2 washers and a Aircraft lock nut (Hopefully this will stay on.).

Then I rounded all the Allens,,,,, Run back to the hardware store to get a pack of re-enforced Dremel cutting wheels, and 4 Allens for the pulley M8X12

Go home and well got it mounted....My son also said it was stuttering..... So take a look at it and be damed if the Distributor cap was sitting half-cocked on the dizz..... looking at it the metal clip on the back wasn't clipped on the diz body, but the black plastic cap, and that black cover was
half broken.....20 minutes to 9 pm, and Autozone had one. Decided to take a look at it prior to buying it and the metal clamp pieces were missing on the back side..... Ordered a New one from the Irish Auto part Store and it won't be in till 3pm.......

At least I have 4 500 watt Quartz lamps on in the garage to get it up above the 20 degrees....

So it goes....
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Well installed the new cap, and that took care of the Miss when warm, but after turning the car off, I heard the psst psst of escaping steam/af/pressure from the expansion tank... I tried to tighten the Cap, and it or the tank is stripped... New parts won't arrive till Tuesday.... Ain't that how it goes.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Don't you hate it when you replace a hose in the summer, and then the first really cold spell, it starts to leak at the clamp.
So you have to re-tighten it... Dang Clamps.....and forgetting to tighten them when it is colder....
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Got tired of lossing my ciggie lighter because of the Kids inserting the usb convertors and wobbling out the socket so the lighter wouldn't work, then the usb convertors has to be wiggled and twisted to work.....

So....

I ordered a few of these water proof Dual fast charge 2.5 Amp sockets.

I Pried out my Ashtray with a flat blade screw-driver.

Since it didn't quite fit

I dremeled it out a wee bit,,, about 3 seconds with a sander.

Inserted it and ran the lock nut down.

Clipped the Power and Ground connector, then the solderless connections to the wires, as it is polarized and well marked on the rear of the unit.
Didn't need the power light at all....so I heat shrinked it closed.

Works good I opted for the 2.5V units as that wouldn't interfere with the existing fuse... Glows light blue..... and my phone says Fast/charge.
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Well, it has been a while, but the Green Rabbits Blower motor stopped working, (it has been Squealing for a while occasionally.
Got it done, but the Vac lines pulled out of the Vac distributor and I have to remove the dash to re-run them.
Then the screws and bolts were a bother, but I finally figured out how to get the nuts started on the front.

I super glued the nut to my finger as I could reach the screw through the open air intake... Well that worked and I got a pair of needle now as I tightened it up....

For the Drivers side I Superglued the bolt in place....

But the real reason was the Ground wire on the blower motor was toasted..... Well the cut crimp and by-pass. But I ran it to the Firewall connection.

now on to the OLDS as a Rock Pierced the Condenser, and no A/C momma not a happy camper, but both rabbits have nice cold frosty ac.
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Got my new Rain Tray from MK1 Engineering ( the Green Cabby had disintegrated Ok broke in 3 places)
was @ 75 shipped.

So the blue got the new and the Green got my old blue.
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Two weeks ago I had the car in the air, and all looked fine till Friday, Jacked it up, and working on Transmission linkages, found the CV boot split and shot that goo all over... So today, Take off hub cap cover, 30mm socket to loosen the axle, Jack car up, remove wheel, 8mmts to remove the 6 bolts
pop off the tie rod remove the lower ball joint off the spindle and bob's your uncle Axle is out going to the rebuilder. Just put it on 3 years ago....dang near to the exact date July 23rd. (written on axle).

Thankful for a few things previous, Never-seize on the tie-rod and spindle... that thing popped out without-a-fuss....No big bang, not even a whimper.
Probably 35 minutes to get it out... I figure on 3 hours to clean up the goo everywhere.....dang nabit.
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Well got the CV replaced, 15 dollars to have the boot repaired... The Break of the boot must of been in the last few days, as the goo gleaned off really easy, 10 minutes...
There was a 91 in the pull-a-part, and I scored a brand new Dash bezel that isn't broken and had all the original screws, 12 bucks.... I should clean it up and place it on ebay for 200.

didn't get the vin number for Kammy but it was an automatic... base with cloth seats and the top and frame were gone. Engine was unmolested save for the 37 yards of electrical tape on the rubber maf to TB tube.
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Well, It's a new year, and I have had to bleed the brakes on the Green one after losing a Wheel Cylinder,,,,then replacing the shoes again......
Found a a/f leak from a clamp that wasn't tight.... so well All-in-All Happy New Wrenching.
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Well, let's update. Did an Irish tune up to the Green Cabby, Plugs, cap and rotor (needed it). Then found the expansion tank cap fubared and leaking.
go get one of my spares.... Then on Sunday washed and cleaned my Canvas top, and after drying I water-proofed it for the first time since it was installed.... all-in-all a good day.

Ordered in spare rotor, and expansion tank cap....for future use?
Briano

Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by Calimus »

Tossed a new battery in the crabby cabby and woke her up after I can't remember how many years of sleep. Rolled her out in the driveway and rinsed a layer of dust off. She wasn't happy about waking up. One of the fuel pumps started signing so it looks like I'll be placing an order for replacements. Need to schedule a appt to get her aligned as I never did from whenever the hell it was that I put the coil overs on. From there, hopefully it will be time to order parts for the top and figure out where she goes to get that replaced.

The hope is that she sees some road again this summer. Naturally every fluid needs to be changed, but such as life.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

I never have heard a fuel pump Singing.....Humming maybe as they don't know the words. LOL...........
I would suspect the in-tank first, causing a strain on the Primary........

Tops, I don't know.....
Briano

Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

No, the fuel pump is singing, I believe the tune is "pay up sucka". An yea, in tank was my guess and currently have one on the way.

As for the top, I know you have had a long, long standing offer on that, but I would never assume or impose in such a way. If I can get to that bridge, we can talk about crossing it if you still feel like it, lol.

Parts for the tune up and such should land on the 2nd i think, but with shipping being what it is these days, only time will tell. A part was backordered and FCP let me know I said wait and ship all at once. So I got confirmation it shipped out yesterday.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Calimus wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 4:20 pm
As for the top, I know you have had a long, long standing offer on that, but I would never assume or impose in such a way. If I can get to that bridge, we can talk about crossing it if you still feel like it, lol.
It's only been about 10 years or so, and I ain't getting any younger... But It may take me a few days, as my off days at work aren't together any more...
Briano

Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

I totally understand and appreciate that.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C