Mom always said it's what is on the inside that counts

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Briano's Cup Holder

Post by Briano1234 »

My Better 3/4 never liked the cupholders we had in the Rabbit, or Cabriolet.
With the new interior I didn't want to pierce the door cards, the ones I made for the map pockets broke. The "boat" ones I used sprung out and didn't hold things and a good sharp turn and they would fall out. Forget to remove them and closing the door led to spillage. The over the door edge ones worked but if you rolled the windows up without thinking opps another spill. So after a few years thinking and having to do some cabinetry I started to
re-think.

This will allow the seat to fully slide front to back, the only thing I noticed is that when you have the seat full front, that when you fold the seat the adjuster moves the thing to the left as there is a wee bit of clearance not great but could be remedied by increasing the height of the curve at the back about 1/2 or 1/4 of an inch.

Here is the plan that is basic, your carpet and pad may vary but on my 93 this is what I have made.
It is out of spare 1/4 Sanded plywood that I had laying about.
The Cup holder and cup holder bottom was made out of scrap 1X4 that I had laying about.
Yes the width of the Cupholder to the Cupholder bottom is 1/8 difference, to allow the side frames to spread out a bit.
I used number 8 X 1" wood screws
Pilot drilled all holes with 1/16 bit. Plywood Especially
Center Drilled the Front brace with a 1/8 hole, I used a 16 penny nail to Pierce the Transmission Tunnel so I could screw a 3" construction screw at the front center brace. I used a single screw for the front brace to Frame.

The Front Brace is to steady it I double that it is really needed, but hey. The front brace has a compound cut that is about 3.5-4 degrees front edge to back and then bottom to top to accommodate the spread of the frame at the feet.

The Rear Bracket was a Piece of 1/8 thick 1/2" steel that I had laying about. It is Bent at 90 on the ends. This Catches the Feet of the holder to keep it from rocking forward on a stop.

The rear Bracket is attached to the REAR of the parking brake frame.
If you look there is a hole centered in the rear. I used a speed nut, and 10mm short 1" or less with washer and a 90 degree angle bracket I had laying about.

Sand every corner round, I sanded with 220 grit paper.
Originally I Stained and then 3 coats of Varnish I loved the look but it didn't work in the cabby. So I used Duplicolor Gloss Black Vinyl Paint 3 coats it matches the dash.

With that said here it is.

Original was too tall and a tad unstable so I whittled it down a wee bit.

Remember I used Basically a Jig-Saw to do Most cuts, But I did use a Compound Miter to make the Front Brace. I may clean it up with a router later to make it look pretty, but it is under the closed handle of the e-brake.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Arm rest and more.

Post by Briano1234 »

Decided to add a armrest but wait there is more, it is also a rear seat cup holder.
When it is in the arm rest position it covers the can in the second slot.... Apologies to haters, and seamstress's which I ain't.

Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
daskidmit
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: Briano's Cup Holder

Post by daskidmit »

That's awesome! You've inspired me :) I notice you have seats from seatcovers.de - were those easy to install? And did you remove your old seat covers? Or just slip those on top? I have a hard time understanding their german-english. Thanks!
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

I removed the rear seat covers as I couldn't see any other way, they are a tight fit, and take 2 folks.
the Front are over the seat covers, and they weren't that bad. I did rework all the foam bolsters on the seats then replaced the original covers.
I then put the new cover over them. They don't fit all that great on the rear and i wish that they had made the Tail piece about 2 inches longer as it would be a more finished look. I did find that the tan material was available at my upholstery shop in their Nautique Pleather book. So I bought about a yard and added it to theirs to get it to fit at the rear better....

I also removed all the beading on the seat covers front and rear, that is I sliced a whole and pulled it all out as I didn't want it to POKE through the new material....

I have a thread here on conversion..... I think you could get by on the rear seat bottoms without removing the covers, but hey, I thought I could get it and it looks ok.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3260
Briano

daskidmit

Post by daskidmit »

Looks great. Thanks for the info!
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Brian, you never cease to amaze me with your creative side. nice job sir.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C