The past week in Car repair

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: The past week in Car repair

Post by Briano1234 »

Dang electric winders....... The wire broke in the middle of the door jamb.
Well I got it repaired with new wires, that I cut about 10 inches long, made the repairs with solder and heat shrink, then proceeded to Push the Broken solder repaired ends in to the frame and door jamb so that new wires were being bended..... Hate that area of the car.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Gee, It has been a while... Ok, Cleaned the Shroud for the Radiator, 2 coats of wax (had to respray the motor, and while I was at it resprayed the MAF but that was really last week. Fixed the Broken door check.....

Monday, I decided to take the Ding out of the Driver door, as it was down to the Metal started to surface rust a bit..... (dang parking lots, and Idiots, but that low,,, I mean what had to hit it, some pissed off toddler....... Also fixed my 3 dings from making a 89 fit an 93.... (Saw marks by Mirror... from the Sawzall slipping.) In the Middle of the Bondo, my Sander shot craps so I had to run to the BORG to get a new one... But on a bright note... I drove the green one to the BORG, and it was flawless... Save for the Window Sprayer not working and Dust on the windscreen since October.....

2 coats of primer, and 2000 grit wet/dry The wet area is where one of the dings for the conversion was, I don't know why in the camera shot it looked wet....

2 coats of Color, getting ready to wet sand and clear today... (4 quartz lights on in Garage.... it is TOasty......

So all in all it has been a progressive week.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Found a new use for old Christmas Paper... Re-task it.

Who says you can't re-use Christmas wrapping paper.....

Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Kinda screwed up.... I forgot to clean the under hood. So..... 6 dollars and 6 shower curtains later....

Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Finally got the underhood where it needed to be...

Now to clean up the rest of the car.... Spring cleaning to a new level, it isn't just for houses any more... :)
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

After having to repaint the front Valance, correctly..... I decided that I would add 3 pieces of flat rubber, that I glued in with RTV.
If you look at the corners of the Valance, and where the prop rod hit... You will see the 3 black rubber pieces, it is to prevent chafing of the paint.
When the rod is down, it can't vibrate the hood rod end against the paint. The rubber stops on the Hood, can't rub the paint on the ends either.

Look for the yellow.

Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Was at a Car show in big Duluth, and had to have a Battery Delivered to me mid-show, my son was kind enough to hog one over, seems that my Battery was on it's last legs (FEB 2010) was marked on the side, and as of late if I let the car sit idle for a day, it didn't want to start first time. After it seemed to be ok..... But well.....7 years out of a 3 year battery isn't that bad....... :)

I did make it to Bug-a-paluza, but was sadly not Judged,even though I was told they would, but seems they missed me, they did say sorry........ I was lumped in the MK1's and a ratty 83 won.... O'well such is life.... Not as many turned out, and there was only 1 other cabby....

Maybe next year......
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

The Blue one decided to act up. I was running to the Hardware store, and I went over some RR tracks, well I decided to be speed demon, and put the car in low (auto) to cut across traffic. Well, I guess that my rear transmission mount decided to depart the car. This caused a rubbing of the Accelerator Cable to catch on the Horns.... full throttle, no release.... after Heavy Braking it get it in a Stall, and stopped. I got out and got my parts... Getting in the car I turned the ignition on and wally be darned if it didn't go full throttle.... Get out, grab a screw driver and pry the acel cable off the horns by bending.... drove fine, got home and jacked the car... The rear mount had departed, I had 2 metal plates and the Transmission was lower in the rear, and the front raised about 2 inches and causing the levers to hit the horn assembly.

Replaced the mount, and because I bent the arm of the acel cable, it was now catching only in Low,.... so bend it back, and all is well....
Glad I had good brakes and that they are Ceramic to take the heat.....
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Cupholder that momma approves. Holds 2 cans or cups.

It is a Prototype that is was under review..... :)

Held in place by the Seat Rail Tops, and one Screw under the e-brake, and a speed nut, bar, and small bracket and allen in the rear.

It started out as;

It originally sat too High so it is lowered, and on a test panic stop was top heavy, so I beefed up the front a wee bit and Screwed it to the
Tranny tunnel.... (ok it isn't a tranny tunnel). Seems to work well. Will run with it for a month and see how it goes.
It allows for the seat to run all the way up, and you still can get to your seat belts, and the e-brake is not too harder to handle.

Why did I do this, because I didn't want to pierce my door cards, and momma didn't like the one that I attached to the ebrake.
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Well, took time to wash and wax the green one, been sitting since Feb unattended, (had mold breakout from all the rain, nipped that in the butt but only because it was sitting under carport and not driven or aired out.) decided to remove the passenger seat bottom and have it repaired, Cleaned the seat pan, primed and painted Fixed the bolsters foam where it was holed. put new slider kit on it. Charged the battery and drove it like I stole it... Amazing that on old gas and all it still has the get up and scoot....
The seat cover comes back today, so it will be finished.
The blue one I hung the Cat on so it can have the last emissions ever....yeah. Decided to do the rear brakes as the e-brake wasn't holding, so off with the drums to discover that my rear wheel cylinders were leaking... a drop or two, but caused brake fade, and paint flake. Going back I lost a spring, so had to wait to get a hardware kit from O'Reillys, and the kit contained the 2 parking brake irons, I can remember going to a wrecking yard the last time I did the rear on the blue for that part....(was missing). So 2 days to do a brake job, I must be getting old. Oh, Oil change on the blue, as well as resetting the timing for 4BTDC for Emissions..... Yeeeee-Haw.....
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Well, the blue one passed, no more emissions, I have taken the cat off and returned the straight pipe. :)
I placed the seat cover on the green car, it is so much nicer.... Then I decided to put the Spare grille on it that I had hanging on a wall, the Green one totally looks different....
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Well what have I don't to my car today, have you got an hour?

The other day when I decided to change my antenna for station fade in the mountains, and the city, I took the wheel off, and was met with the tell-tale sight of Molly Grease on the back side of my wheel. and a small amount on the wheel well.

Dang nab it…

So I got the antenna changed.
Two days later...

I jacked the car, and got the shaft out in record time, about 30 minutes.
The next day I took the shaft to the rebuilder who replaced both boots, inspected it and re-greased it for 25 bucks use…
CV Source in Buford, does great work...

I get home and at 12:30 I had the shaft installed and was torquing the axle bolts when they wouldn't pop at 33 pounds…. Dang nab it a bad torque wrench so run to buy a new one.
It still won't pop… Well it did pop. It snapped a bolt off….
Saying a few choice words, I knew that at the worst I could expect having to remove the axle cup.
(to make matters worse I drive autos, and it was the short shaft that snapped the bolt.)…which made me have a few choice words again…..
Can I get to it with the tranny installed, or do I have to drop it....

So I took it all apart, again, and I couldn't believe how tight the bolts were. When I got to the snapped one, I noticed it was sticking out a bit. Hurrah I didn't have to remove the cup.
I worked the bolt out by hand…

Well It was a light that Popped, and I realized that I had over driven them initially, and that they didn't torque because I was at 2 or 3 times the torque value when the bolt snapped… So I was happy I figured it out. Going back I snugged them, then used the torque wrench… New or Old both worked fine….

Yep we can all relate to this and Ca-Ca does occur to everyone occasionally…

I blame my recovery from illness, and the drugs…, as not in stupidity and trying to cheat, which I did as I used my pneumatic ratchet, and after the fact I noticed that the pressure was set to 65 on the hose, which I usually use at 25-30. So Ca-ca can occur, and Cranialrectumitest can be overcome.

Got it back on the road today, and even overcast threatening rain, the Drive Topless was Fantastic and made the work, Worthwhile…
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Green one had to have the wiring for the front speakers replaced, as well as the window motor cables all were snapped inside the door bend grommet, removed the remains of the Active radio harness drivers side so I could install new radio. Wouldn't you know it one speaker on the left rear wasn't working and nothing I tried could fix it. Take the panel off, attached a 9v battery to the two wires (which were white, and white and black) not listed in Kammy's site well I found the wire at the head, both were yellow and looked like PO jacked it all to hell, got it sorted, and found the speaker was bad, so Off this am to get replacement speakers for the rear. Dash is all corrected, cut wires that I found were heat shrinked and wire tied out of the way.

Now on to repairing the drivers side seat bolster.... why, because the pathfinder was retired to Pull-a-part, bad transmission, and engine.... go figure it had 385K on it........

So number one son is driving the Green Cabby........ well today he is driving the blue one.....
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Two weeks before Christmas 2010 I was facing replacing the main fuel pump, and decided to do the single pump conversion....as 80 bucks is easier to take than 300. It was easy to do, and well cheap on the pocketbook. (90's digifant).

Fast forward to two weeks before Christmas this year, while on vacation is you can call visiting a niece who is terminally ill, and working on every bad thing the in-laws had wrong. from Ovens, Stoves, Commodes, Cars, and every ones computers... My son calls me up and yells "How many gallons does the car hold?" to which I replied "13 same as usual. Why I asked?" Well my son ran it out of gas, and had to buy a 2 gallon gas can, he had to walk 1 mile to the nearest gas station...so 2 mile round trip. He started the car, when back to the station and filled up...10.5 gallons Later, he made it back home.... So he could of filled up prior to the incident.....

Speed forward a week, and he claims that it is hesitating..... well as I am a little under the weather I said take the blue one..... So the green one sat for about week...before I got to it. I turned everything off, and listened to the engine run with the seat reclined towards the back and I heard the fuel pump stop when the engine stuttered.... then pick up.

Ok, drain 1/2 the tank out, buy a lifetime warrantied fuel pump from O'Reilly's, along with the strainer and filter....

Replace everything, car is running and moving like a graped ape.
Look in to the pump and see bits or rubber, I had also seen rubber bits in the tank, and fished as many as I could but then I was thankful that the internal pump screen was half full of rubber bits or crap...half fell out...

I suppose that I could of not replaced the pump with new, but figured it was better to error on the side of caution..... I glued the new screen on.... waited for 24hours to replace.

I had seen this issue one time before, on a Helicopter I was flying in about 300 miles over the Gulf of Mexico... Worst feeling ever as you see fuel bypass lights on both engines...
Issue Mayday, fly back to a AFB... pull pumps and strainers inspect tanks, find bits of rubber everywhere.... clean and replace everything. Fill the tanks, and go out on the search again..... 250 miles out same thing....again declare Mayday and return to the AFB.
to repeat all the above again.... come to find out, the AF only check their tanks for contamination...not the hose.....5 gallons of fuel later in to a bucket, you can count over 400 bits of the inside of the hose..... Which is the same things I was fishing out of the Cabby's tank. Moral of the story, don't buy gas at a mom and pop station from the boondocks as they might not maintain their pumps as often or as well.....
Briano