cam timing

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

boschbabe
What year is your cabby?: 1993
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

cam timing

Post by boschbabe »

Trying to see if dead '93 auto has jumped time. Lined up cam sprocket with marks. Cannot find green plug on tranny. Only see two open holes, one has pointer. No threads in holes like on Cabbyinfo site. Pointer not pointing to 0.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: cam timing

Post by Briano1234 »

Automatic?

On the automatic there is a timing bracket. It has 8 0 6 4 stamped on it.
Iine it up so that your finger is over the 0... If your bracket is rusty that is why it is hard to see.

Dot on the backside of the cam gear at the top of the valve cover tin, and the dist rotor in the middle of the hash.

http://www.cabby-info.com/Files/AdjustingTheTiming.pdf
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
boschbabe

Post by boschbabe »

Yes, automatic. Is the bracket on the flywheel? I see some numbers in there. Also my car has a plastic piece between the cam gear and valve cover with an arrow on it. I lined that up with the 0 on the cam gear.
boschbabe

Post by boschbabe »

This site is the slowest in the cyber universe. It takes at least 30 seconds for it to respond. And it keeps dropping my login. Anyway I lined up all the relevant marks. With the so-called pointer at 0 on the flywheel (auto trans) the front pulley is slightly retarded from the mark on the cover and the cam notch is a half-tooth advanced using the cover mark. Cabby-info.com shows it slightly retarded. I removed the plastic piece to see the other mark and it is slightly below the valve cover flange. I'm assuming there was no belt jump because the cam would be retarded from the crank. The sloppy engineering of these marks is inexcusable.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

boschbabe wrote:This site is the slowest in the cyber universe. It takes at least 30 seconds for it to respond. And it keeps dropping my login. Anyway I lined up all the relevant marks. With the so-called pointer at 0 on the flywheel (auto trans) the front pulley is slightly retarded from the mark on the cover and the cam notch is a half-tooth advanced using the cover mark. Cabby-info.com shows it slightly retarded. I removed the plastic piece to see the other mark and it is slightly below the valve cover flange. I'm assuming there was no belt jump because the cam would be retarded from the crank. The sloppy engineering of these marks is inexcusable.
No, they are rock hard, the issue with the plastic arrow is that the plastic can break and warp.
On the back side of the cam (remove the timing mark plastic cover) when the cam is at 0tdc, then there is a dimple on the back side of the cam gear
that is even with the top of the valve cover tin, not the rebars.

Ron has a static timing method that with a volt/ohm meter you can get it to 6TDC.
http://reflectionsandshadows.com/cabby/static-digi.html

Yes the site has been slow and I have the same issues that you are having.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
boschbabe

Post by boschbabe »

Response time issue resolved! I did remove the plastic piece to look at the other mark and it was slightly below the valve cover tin by about a half-tooth as was the other mark. My plastic pieces appear to be in good shape and unlikely to warp sideways throwing the marks off. Anyway, that's not the reason it won't run. If I hook a jumper cable from the neg terminal to the intake would that isolate a faulty eng/trans ground?
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

boschbabe wrote:Response time issue resolved! I did remove the plastic piece to look at the other mark and it was slightly below the valve cover tin by about a half-tooth as was the other mark. My plastic pieces appear to be in good shape and unlikely to warp sideways throwing the marks off. Anyway, that's not the reason it won't run. If I hook a jumper cable from the neg terminal to the intake would that isolate a faulty eng/trans ground?
No, but you can ground your engine via sensors, speedo cables, and clutch cables and not know it.
If you haven't replaced your grounds battery to frame and frame to engine/tranny... It would be a good thing for you to do.

Tf your tranny mark is OTDC, then the cam mark is EVEN with the valve cover tin, anything else isn't timed. The dist rotor is in the middle of the hash mark.....

If the time isn't right, then the ECU will try to keep it there, hence a erratic idle.
Set the marks to the proper position, then statically time it via Ron's guide.
Briano