81 cabby 1.7 5 speed

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

roadtech
What year is your cabby?: 1981
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

81 cabby 1.7 5 speed

Post by roadtech »

Ok guys I am going after the fuel system, I have ordered a guage and o-rings and inserts. read up on the different proceedures. I have been told that a 81 rabbit convertible does no have an internal pump in the fuel tank is this true? secondly the idle screw on the throttle body, is it ok that I can turn with my fingers, is there suppose to be some kind of seal or thread sealant that would require a wrench?
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: 81 cabby 1.7 5 speed

Post by Briano1234 »

There is no in-tank fuel pump in a 81.
No it isn't ok that the throttle body by-pass screw turns by hand.
We are taking about the screw that is brass and 7mm on the rear of the throttle body?
There is a o-ring on that screw, count the turns to back it out. Write that number down, and then go to a good hardware store and get a new o-ring.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
roadtech

Post by roadtech »

There is a o-ring on that screw, count the turns to back it out. Write that number down, and then go to a good hardware store and get a new o-ring.
Thank You will do.

Phil any lock on the warning buzzer after 3000 rpm.
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

roadtech wrote:
Thank You will do.

Phil any lock on the warning buzzer after 3000 rpm.
Sorry to take so long, I should have an answer tonight.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

This is a bit screwy.

Unfortunatly, the only wiring diagram I have for an '81 is a Haynes, so I'm not sure if it is complete.

In short, I have to guess!

Anyway, the buzzer is not mentioned, and the diagram shows the instrument panel as discrete components. It also does not mention the pressure gauge or the tach.

The warning buzzer should be in the instrument cluster, All the important connections are made through the 14 pin connector on the rear of the cluster.

Assuming this has been omitted from the diagram in the Haynes manual, and comparing the diagrams for later cars in the Bently, I think you should check the 14 pin connector. The Blue/Black wire (pin 9) is the pressuure switch (you have on the head). The Red/Black wire (pin 5) is the RPM signal for the tach. and There should be a yellow wire (Pin 11), the 0.3 bar pressure switch.

Basicly the Engine Oil Control Unit uses all these inputs. If the yellow wire is open, and the RPM is about 2000 RPM the buzzer will sound. At least, thats the way it works on newer models. I can only assume the control unit, like the tach, is not shown in the diagram.

Unfortunatly, I can not confirm the yellow wire on the '81 diagram but the other two are there, so if you can find the yellow wire, we can move forward with this.

Too bad I don't have more information, but this is a start.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
roadtech

Post by roadtech »

Well guys I am an old man and memory can be a causality. Early in my project I found an 82 cabby and one of the things I took was the instrument cluster from the dash. The only difference I saw were the up shift light and speedo cable was a clip on. Today I have resurrected the original and will try to install, I suspect the alarm may be due to an incompatibility with the newer cluster. Could this be the cause.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Yes, one way to verify is that under the connector shroud, the mylar connector or mylar has writing on it to say what the pins do. Check your old one, and compare it to the new. It probably wouldn't hurt to add a ground point from the wire at pin 2 (brown) to the frame behind the cluster with a screw.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
roadtech

Post by roadtech »

Briano

If you were to look for fittings in our area. I have 1/4 npt or just hose requiring a fitting one is 12mm 1.5 male and the other is 12mm 1.5 female with inverted flair, like would fit on top of a fuel injector.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

You could try summit racing, napa has some of them too.
Briano

CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

roadtech wrote:Well guys I am an old man and memory can be a causality. Early in my project I found an 82 cabby and one of the things I took was the instrument cluster from the dash. The only difference I saw were the up shift light and speedo cable was a clip on. Today I have resurrected the original and will try to install, I suspect the alarm may be due to an incompatibility with the newer cluster. Could this be the cause.
Could be. The only difference was no yellow wire on pin 11.

But like I said, the Haynes manual seemed to be missing stuff.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image