Removing the Transmission

Something grinding or sound like a box of pinball parts? Post here and get some help.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

randy1234
What year is your cabby?: 1981
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Removing the Transmission

Post by randy1234 »

Any help from someone who has been there??

I have the diesel engine out that I am planning to swap into the cabby, but I am having difficulty with finding the alignment marks to slide the trans. away from the engine.

The year is a 1980 rabbit 1.5 diesel with a manual trans. I have the Bentley manual as well as 3 others that show illustrations for the alignment mark with warnings of forcing the trans off- -and this "notch" is not on my flywheel.

I found the "0" mark and there is a mark on either side of this that looks like a pointer- -have turned the engine over several times searching for the reference mark- -no luck.

If anyone could help or direct me to a place to find it, I would sincerely appreciate it- -and Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!

Thanks
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Removing the Transmission

Post by Briano1234 »

The O should be TDC.
If the Cam is at lobes up on Cylinder 1 and the IP (Injection Pump) can be spiked, your tranny is at 0.

You have to remove the White or Green plug on the top of the tranny to see the mark in relation to the finger that is under the green cap.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
randy1234

Post by randy1234 »

Thanks Briano- -I am going to go back at it tomorrow.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

randy1234 wrote:Thanks Briano- -I am going to go back at it tomorrow.
The tranny is only on the engine by the input shaft and that is splined The bolts hold the trany to the engine. You don't time the car via the tranny. Although the flywheel has the mark.

You don't care if the car is at 0 time... You are just separating the tranny from the engine.
If you aren't dinking with the engine timing, then you don't give a rats ass about the tranny in relation to time....
Remove the clutch cable
Remove the Frame to tranny battery cable
Remove the axles tie them up as high as you can.
Remove the starter
Remove the 3 mounts
Place a jack under the engine or use a engine stand.
Remove the tin plates off the tranny
Remove the 5 bolts that hold it together
Pry that sucker off (kind of rock it as you go).

Here is how I do a Auto,,,,,
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1932

Sorry for the earlier thing turkey coma.

I have dropped 3 trannys and hung 3 on a 81 rabbit diesel....and a 90 cabby... and a automatic one or 4....
You don't worry about time until you have to replace the flywheel, and that is even off centered bolted.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
randy1234

Post by randy1234 »

Thanks again.

I have the engine and transmission out of the car on a cherry picker and I lowered it to the ground on a tire so that I could pull the trans off. I am just hoping I do not damage something as I pry them apart- -it has been so stubborn that I think there is something that I missed.

In my old Haynes manual (VW diesel 77-84) it says that I need to rotate the crankshaft until the cut-out on the flywheel- -76 degrees BTDC- -is aligned with the pointer on the clutch housing- -as seen through the TDC marker hole. This is done so the flywheel does not get hung up on the housing as the trans is withdrawn. My diesel Bentley manual says the same thing. It the trans was not such a bugger to get apart then I would not even think about the extra manual language.

Do you know where the markings are to tell if the trans is an 01 118? I have looked over the trans and I don't see any numeral markings- -unless they have some sludge covering. . .

Also- -the rabbit that this engine and trans came out of was supposed to have been built in Germany and purchased from Canada- -not sure if that makes a difference.

Snow is starting to blow up here- -Thank you again for your help Briano!

Randy
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Now that you have the engine and tranny apart, just rotate the engine until
the marks on the ip align, you may have to rotate it a couple of times, then look at the flywheel/pressure plate and see which mark is up.
There is a Diamond mark on some and a 0 mark on others, it depends on where the pressure plate came from.

All Diesels engines/transmissions were assembled in Germany. Even the early rabbits the engines/tranny was a whole assembly
that was installed in Westy land
Briano

randy1234

Post by randy1234 »

Woot Woot! Transmission is off the engine!!

Do I dare admit my ignorance? Only partly. . .

I did not read that I was supposed to take the bolts off of the flywheel cover on the bottom- -I thought that was unnecessary. . .
After I removed the two on the bottom, the trans slid back easily to a point.

The driveshaft flange would not slip over or past the flywheel!! I tried turning the engine over several times while hoping there was a flat spot in the flywheel that would enable it to slip past- -no joy. Then I checked the the driveshaft flange (Just to be sure you know, the driveshaft had been removed much earlier.) still- -no joy.

I got my son out there to help and tried to wiggle and jiggle it past, and then looked for a way to remove the flange- -thought about a sledge hammer. Admission number 2. . .I used my grinder to grind a slight flat spot in the flange- -just enough to allow it to slip by the flywheel.

Not sure if I missed something because of the hard time sliding the flange past the flywheel, but I was thankful to be doing this outside of the car!!

Thank you so much for the coaching Briano, these mechanical endeavors are much easier with some encouragement and know-how.

Randy
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Glad ya got it off..... remember that re-assembly is the opposite of removal. :)
Briano