The past week in Car repair

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: The past week in Car repiar

Post by Briano1234 »

Well it was the o2 sensor.... Did that last week and drove it, but got a exhaust smell.
Today I found 4 loose manifold nuts, and 1 stud, so I replaced that stud.
Quiet as all get out no smell.

Fixed the a/c again
Found and original shifter handle and installed it.
Repaired the PRNDL light
Repaired the center console light
Washed the Green one.

So the summer is gone, and I didn't have much of a "vert" for me.

But the Green one runs good this week... :) I finally have my car back yipppppeeeee but it is running funny. Oh and I had to go replace a "new" fuel line as it swelled and started leaking at the injector rail.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by Calimus »

I don't think I know of a pair of cabbies that get driven harder or worked on more often. My hat's off to you sir.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Calimus wrote:I don't think I know of a pair of cabbies that get driven harder or worked on more often. My hat's off to you sir.
I'm just glad as hell I can bounce idears off of you.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Anytime sir. :D
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

I just had the 6th or 7th issue with that frigging plastic water outlet flange...This time shades of the Challenger, I had a 0-ring fail on the bottom plug.
I am seriously gonna look in to the metal flange from a early engine, and use the single pin CTS and Coolant Temp senders.....
I am over those frigging things and the cheap assed quality.... Fortunately it leaked about 1/4 cup as it was parked, and the car never over heated.
Briano

eric4321
What year is your cabby?: 1993

Post by eric4321 »

Brian my offer still stands to send you a metal heater flange from a mk2. They are a direct replacement for the plastic Cabby ones. German auto now sells a metal thermostat flange. (I can't vouch for the quality of them yet) For the front head flange I found one of a early 90s Fox. It uses a threaded blue sensor and one wire for the gauge the other wire is a ground.
My Rabbit Rescue and Recovery Ranch
93 Cabriolet red. 5 speed
81 Rabbit 4 door auto bronze (project)
77 Rabbit 4 dr 4spd diesel
(Project next in line)
1987 Cabriolet parts car(may one day bring her back)
1993 Suburban green(used for Rabbit rescue)
CR500Rider
What year is your cabby?: 1990

Post by CR500Rider »

eric4321 wrote: German auto now sells a metal thermostat flange. (I can't vouch for the quality of them yet)
I installed one on my 90' about 2 months ago when I took the shotgun approach to the cooling system. No issues!
1990 VW Cabriolet, 1.8L automatic.
eric4321
What year is your cabby?: 1993

Post by eric4321 »

German auto parts generally sells good parts, but I don't want to vouch for the quality of a part I have not used yet. I am using an oe flange off my 81 Rabbit now. Thanks for the input I will be buying those flanges in the future for my other mk1 cars. Also just a note from experience the metal thermostat flange from a Fox looks like it will work, but the angle is just slightly off for a mk1 car. :banghead: Found that out the hard way.
My Rabbit Rescue and Recovery Ranch
93 Cabriolet red. 5 speed
81 Rabbit 4 door auto bronze (project)
77 Rabbit 4 dr 4spd diesel
(Project next in line)
1987 Cabriolet parts car(may one day bring her back)
1993 Suburban green(used for Rabbit rescue)
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

eric4321 wrote:Brian my offer still stands to send you a metal heater flange from a mk2. They are a direct replacement for the plastic Cabby ones. German auto now sells a metal thermostat flange. (I can't vouch for the quality of them yet) For the front head flange I found one of a early 90s Fox. It uses a threaded blue sensor and one wire for the gauge the other wire is a ground.
Send Hell we ought to meet up for a beer.
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

CR500Rider wrote:
eric4321 wrote: German auto now sells a metal thermostat flange. (I can't vouch for the quality of them yet)
I installed one on my 90' about 2 months ago when I took the shotgun approach to the cooling system. No issues!
When the one on my daughters car broke I had a spare, and haven't even looked at the site, but tell you what bubba, I am gonna buy me a couple of them things.
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Farging Chinese parts again..... Baby Daughter called... "MY CAR IS STEAMING."................The Heater Valve broke again. This time the Screw on the top came out, and the fluid shot out of the screw hole..........

I have a spare, but as she said "It's the same part as last time.", so I took a water outlet flange...
Chris and I drove the car home pissing fluid out that hole, 14 miles, and 4 gallons of water later....
Drive about 2 miles, stop fill jug. Drive 2 miles stop fill jug... from Mile marker 6 to 10 on 400, then the 10 miles over to the house.
Only took about an hour. Stop engine at the red lights... ...I hate The Cheapened Chinese parts that we are forced to buy...
I mean the one from my Diesel Rabbit lasted over 20 years.........Now I can't get one to last squanto.

With in the last year I have had to replace every plastic flange on both cabbies at least once...... and the heater valve on her car oh I don't know 3-4 times now......

Original post: Jan 24, 2012
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2707&p=25396&hilit ... lve#p25396

Replaced, oh wait the new one is bad too. Replace, then not even 10 months later, replace it again.. SHeeeeeeeIT.
Briano

Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

I'm about to go put chains around my cars so you don't get the grand idea to come over here and steal all my good working parts :eek:

I think the Chinese have something out for you or something man. :banghead:
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Don't sweat William, I have a replacement valve on hand, and I even bought a spare Outlet Flange.... So I should be safe for a few minutes.

Besides it was rather fun driving and doing the Indy Pit stop thing with Chris... :)

On a side note, I got to drive the Blue Bunny to the Airport to fetch a child, and on the ride home was impressed with the way the engine ran with the a/c on, as the a/c actually cycled, and the pull at 75mph was negligible. Dual Down are the way to go....
First time I had actually gotten the car out on the interstate since I converted it in June/July...
Briano

CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Winter Prep Time.

It's that time of year, time to put the bunnies away for the winter.

It all starts with a fuel fill up, then an oil and filter change. Once that is done, the wind deflictors are removed and fuel stablizer is added to the fuel. Wheels and tires are replaced with the storrage sets (I actually use four space saver wheels) and the cars are then taken to the farm where they spend the winter in the barn.
Once in the barn the batteries are removed, and the cylenders fogged.
Finally, the car covers are put on and those are covered with tarps.

With that all done, the Golf and the Wagon both need to be serviced and the winter tires installed.
Now I need to lug four sets of wheels and tires and two batteries down the basement. At least it counts as exercise.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Didn't do a damn thing, dinked my back, so I haven't even driven my car this week yet.
Need to take the drivers seat out and fix the slides, but wait, that entails me bending over and lifting which isn't going to happen.
I had to have help getting my shoe on the other day.... Going to have to go out and buy a pair of slip on Johnny Quest PF Flyers... :)
Briano