A/C on a Non A/C

Post electrical issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

VDubbinIt
What year is your cabby?: 1986
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

A/C on a Non A/C

Post by VDubbinIt »

So apparently, the A/C on my car is aftermarket. Are there any resources to how this is even done so I can figure out how to undo most of it? I know it'll be a PITA to completely take everything related out, but I'd at least like to bypass the system (since it doesn't even work). And if someone could share a picture of the top of the fire wall under the rain tray, that would be helpful. I can't even figure out why someone would do this... :banghead:

Here's mine:

Thanks
Jess
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: A/C on a Non A/C

Post by Briano1234 »

You will need to have a non-ac cabby owner check in as have only seen one of them in my life, but he is on this forum.

Here is the only shot I have of a Cabriolet with no a/c.... and it ain't what you are looking for.

I am thinking that you are going to have to remove the dash, knee bar, and the heater box to get to the evaporator.

Here is the breakdown on how it looks:

Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Hey Jess,

Sounds like Brian is hinting at me. Both my cabbys are non AC, one has Power Steering and one doesn't.

Both engine compartments are more or less stock.

I'll take a look at your picture later (I'm at work and most photo sites are blocked), and take some picture in the next few days so you can get a good idea what needs to be done.

My main concern is breaking the feon lines and reclaiming the freon. other than that, it shouldn't be too big a deal to "restore" it.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
eric4321
What year is your cabby?: 1993

Post by eric4321 »

The pic is of my car. I may be changing my ingnition coil soon so I can pop the rain tray and get a pic when I do. I can tell you the factory a/c cars I have seen have the blower intake on the passenger side of the fire wall and mine (factory non a/c) is center. I used the water pump and alt. Pulley off a fox so I could delete the power steering.
My Rabbit Rescue and Recovery Ranch
93 Cabriolet red. 5 speed
81 Rabbit 4 door auto bronze (project)
77 Rabbit 4 dr 4spd diesel
(Project next in line)
1987 Cabriolet parts car(may one day bring her back)
1993 Suburban green(used for Rabbit rescue)
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

VDubbinIt wrote:So apparently, the A/C on my car is aftermarket. Are there any resources to how this is even done so I can figure out how to undo most of it? I know it'll be a PITA to completely take everything related out, but I'd at least like to bypass the system (since it doesn't even work). And if someone could share a picture of the top of the fire wall under the rain tray, that would be helpful. I can't even figure out why someone would do this... :banghead:

Here's mine:

Thanks
Jess
Fixed it.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
VDubbinIt

Post by VDubbinIt »

Alright, I have more pics.. and questions. In one of the pictures you can see the back of the alternator and two hoses that are connecting to some metal pipes/hoses/whatever they're called. Those hoses lead to/from the top of the firewall, and to what looks like a radiator that is in front of the actual radiator (another pic). I apologize for vague vocabulary.. I'm not sure what the actual terminology is. Anyway, what is that they are hooked up to behind the alternator? And what is that in front of the actual rad? I'm trying to figure out if I can just re-route the hoses so they completely bypass the system.
Attachments
What are these leading to???
What are these leading to???
A close up after I removed the black stuff
A close up after I removed the black stuff
I know I probably shouldn't have, but I removed all the black tar type stuff that was covering the added stuff on the firewall. You can see the two hoses leading up to them.
I know I probably shouldn't have, but I removed all the black tar type stuff that was covering the added stuff on the firewall. You can see the two hoses leading up to them.
VDubbinIt

Post by VDubbinIt »

And here is the thing in front of my rad.
Attachments
20120423_135408.jpg
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

wholy crapozoids. That looks like a Rube Goldberg if I ever saw it.
Briano

CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Well the best I can figure, the extra rad is for AC. So it will be totally removed.
The problem is those hoses/pipes are full of Freon.

The big question is where is the compressor?

I'm afraid to say that you might have to pull the dash together at the air box.

I'm just going to get a couple of pictures before it gets dark, so stay tuned.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Sorry for not posting pictures. I did take some but a friend of mine showed up, and well...

I'll post them tonight when I get home.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
eric4321
What year is your cabby?: 1993

Post by eric4321 »

I was replacing my ignition coil today and got some pics. Let me know if you want or need more.
Attachments
IMG00320.jpg
IMG00321.jpg
My Rabbit Rescue and Recovery Ranch
93 Cabriolet red. 5 speed
81 Rabbit 4 door auto bronze (project)
77 Rabbit 4 dr 4spd diesel
(Project next in line)
1987 Cabriolet parts car(may one day bring her back)
1993 Suburban green(used for Rabbit rescue)
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Jess,

I'm still trying to analyse your photos. Can you get a picture of under the alternator, from the pully side? I have a sneeking suspecion that's where the compressor got mounted.

If you look at Eric's photo, you can see where the power sterring pump is mounted. I think, but I am not sure, your AC compressor is mounted between them.

If you trace the hoses from the AC rad to the fire wall, you will find the compressor.

What happens in the heater box is of course a big mistery at this point.

Brian is absolutly right with his Rube-Goldberg comment.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom

Post by kamzcab86 »

:shock: Wow...
Briano1234 wrote:You will need to have a non-ac cabby owner check in as have only seen one of them in my life, but he is on this forum.
I have hundreds of photos of non-A/C Cabriolets (thank you, Europe); however, I just went through my files and every... single... one... of them has the black plastic cover/tray in place. Every one!! :x :screwy: :lol:
VDubbinIt wrote:And here is the thing in front of my rad.
That thing is the condenser, albeit aftermarket. That's the biggest hack-job for aftermarket A/C I've ever seen. Therefore, what's lurking behind your dash is anyone's guess. It's not that big of a deal to take the dash, kneebar, etc. out; just a bit time-consuming for a first-timer. Once you've got those out, you'll be able to see, at least in part, what additional idiocy awaits. As already said, the important thing to do before anything else, is to get the hoses/system evacuated. Then, you can safely remove whatever A/C parts you want.
VDubbinIt

Post by VDubbinIt »

Ok... it sounds like it would be a huge PITA to remove the system. What would you guys do? I already have the dash off. How do you remove the knee bar?

The hoses go from the AC rad straight to the firewall so I'm guessing the compressor is behind the dash. I'll take a picture once I get home, but there is a hose that does have coolant coming out of it on the passenger side. Also, there's a hose coming out of the bottom middle part of the firewall that is cut. ???? I'll get a pic of that too.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Remove the Battery ground of the negative terminal to the battery.

Remove the center console, 3 Phillips screws one at the e-brake, and one at each upper corner of the console.

Remove the Ash tray by gently prying the edge of the plastic and remove the electrical plug.
Remove the 2 window switches and push the wires down.
Lower the fuse box by undoing the Phillips screw at the bottom, then lifting it up and pulling down.

Remove the 2 13mm bolts, and 2 13mm nuts on each side of the knee bar where it attaches to the "a" pillar.

Passenger side.

Driver side.

WARNING WARNING WARNING Do not turn the key switch or connect the battery until you have replaced everything and connected the cluster back up.
Doing so may cause your AIR bag lights to come on.......
Briano