Do I want these trim clips

Post body issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

StephanieGA
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Do I want these trim clips

Post by StephanieGA »

Need to re attach 3 body side moldings that keep coming off due to missing or incompetent trim clips. The ones on there now have the orange seal.
Will these do the job?

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Vw_Mou ... a13229.htm

Stephanie in GA
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Do I want these trim clips

Post by Briano1234 »

yep those are the ones.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
StephanieGA

Post by StephanieGA »

Trim clips ordered! Woo hoo! This is fun!

Now if we can just get her top replaced, we'll be in bidness.

Stephanie in GA
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

See this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2330
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
StephanieGA

Post by StephanieGA »

Ha ha! Ain't no way! My husband and I would KILL each other. Sometimes, it's better to just pay someone else to do it. :wink:
Got a quote locally for $1200 for new top, pad and liner. Have about $500 toward it so far. May have to just do the top. Right now, she can only drive on fair weather days.
We'll see what works out.

Stephanie in GA
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Replacing the top isn't that bad. I did one of mine this spring, and it took me a good week end. The secret is to take your time and be patient. It is not hard. Between Brians instructions and carefully doing the detailed part of the job, I found it to be a rewarding expierence.

Rumer has it there is a guy in GA that has lots of expierence doing them. :D
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
StephanieGA

Post by StephanieGA »

Patient is not a word I would use to describe my husband. I just can't see the two of us taking on a top replacement.

Stephanie in GA
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

CalAltaDubber wrote:
Rumor has it there is a guy in GA that has lots of experience doing them. :D
I don't have a clue as to who the hell you are talking about Willis......

Just because I have done a few, assisted hundreds of others on the interweb....

But just saying, that the 500 you have so far covers parts for all 3 cables pad liner and top shell.
So he is charging you 700 to put it on. That is about 4-8 hours work 700/6=116 dollars per hour....
mmm do he have a doctorate in topology? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Briano

StephanieGA

Post by StephanieGA »

Hey! Are you offering?! :D

Price I got from the one and only local shop was $700 for new top installed and $1200 for new liner, pad and top installed. He said he uses Robbins tops.
I believe her liner and pad are original and really should be replaced if we can swing it.

Now I heard there is a guy out near Elberton who will put on a top I supply. Did it for a friend of my daughter's who has a slightly newer yellow cabby. He's a college kid and doesn't have a ton of money. Trying to get details on that.

Stephanie in GA
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Robbins is a reputable company, well if you get all the parts I usually charge less than 116/hr. But that doesn't cover all the adjustments that may bee needed as in adjusting door sag and seal fitment to the windshield. Most top Installers don't check all of that either... so you have to be certain of what he is goign to do. Doing the top on your own takes a full weekend, and a few curse words... It can lead to togetherness or a Divorce. I usually only require assistance for replacing the rear window, but then I know what I need to look for and usually adjust things prior to replacing.

I don't travel.

I am still waiting to see a specific grey colored cabby show up... but ya never know...of course I have been waiting years... I think they want me to get another few under my belt before they come over... So just saying..... :)

Now if your Head Liner is still good with no tears, but dirty, then clean it with a combination of Mr. Clean magic erasers and some elbow grease, or Westley's Bleche White (have to be careful on over spray. If it is dingy and yellowed then replacing it is an option... Your Choice. it only adds about an hour to the install.

Elberton from Athens is about he same as Athens to where I live... Maybe further.. I thought that all they knew how to do in Elberton is to cut Granite with cables or explosives....
Briano

StephanieGA

Post by StephanieGA »

Wow, it sounds like we might be hatching a plan here! :D

This is what I've been looking at.

http://www.mtmfg.com/vw/168/Volkswagen- ... e-Specials

It is Package Special 2B for $499.95. I think it has everything we need. Tell me what you think. Is there something better out there?

Stephanie in GA
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Getting the cables is a good thing, but the rears that M&T and everyone else uses are CRAP. They are 1/8 inch wider, and break and crack... I haven't seen one rear that I really really liked at all. The Make Your own kind are gonna be just as good and in my humble opinion easier to install.

I really need to get to a Boat Shop that make cables to see what they would charge to make one just like the original...

..I have an Original.... That is why I know the dimensions.
Briano

kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

StephanieGA wrote:Wow, it sounds like we might be hatching a plan here! :D

This is what I've been looking at.

http://www.mtmfg.com/vw/168/Volkswagen- ... e-Specials

It is Package Special 2B for $499.95. I think it has everything we need. Tell me what you think. Is there something better out there?

Stephanie in GA
That's the package I got (it's a good one) and I concur with Brian in that the rear cable is less than stellar.

If the headliner and/or padding need to be replaced, do it all at once because if you decide to do it later, you're looking at having to remove (if not destroy) the outer layer to do the job.
StephanieGA

Post by StephanieGA »

Briano1234 wrote:Getting the cables is a good thing, but the rears that M&T and everyone else uses are CRAP. They are 1/8 inch wider, and break and crack... I haven't seen one rear that I really really liked at all. The Make Your own kind are gonna be just as good and in my humble opinion easier to install.

I really need to get to a Boat Shop that make cables to see what they would charge to make one just like the original...

..I have an Original.... That is why I know the dimensions.
If you're feelin' froggy and want to check on that, it would be awesome. Your attention to detail appeals to mine. Maybe we could work something out if you have a free weekend and feel the need to upgrade a little girl's cabby. :D

Stephanie in GA
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

pssssss I work weekends. :(
Briano