Windshield Gasket

Post body issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

84Vert
What year is your cabby?: 1984
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Windshield Gasket

Post by 84Vert »

I need to replace my windshield gasket, the old one is falling out so removal will be easy. I found a post that mentioned some string and vaseline, but cannot find anything else about it. Is there a thread about this or has anyone else done this any help would be appreciated
84 Rabbit Convertible
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Re: Windshield Gasket

Post by CalAltaDubber »

84Vert wrote:I need to replace my windshield gasket, the old one is falling out so removal will be easy. I found a post that mentioned some string and vaseline, but cannot find anything else about it. Is there a thread about this or has anyone else done this any help would be appreciated
Windshield installation is quite simple.

You do need some kind of cord. I use parachute cord, it has the right thickness and won't break.

You don't need vasoline.

The windshield seal (some call it a gasket) is rubber and should be supple to the touch.

To install the windshield:

1. Ensure the windshield and windshield frame on the car are clean.

2. fit the seal onto the windshield. Make sure that you have the corners of the seal on the corners of the windshield. The seam in the rubber seal should be in the centre of the windshield.

3. Starting at the top left corner of the windshield, fit the cord into the groove in the seal where the seal will fit onto the frame of the car. Continue to fit the cord in all the way around the windshield seal and overlap along the top finishing at the top right corner.

4. Position the windshield over the frame on the car. Try to have the top as close to the mounting frame as possable.

5. From inside the car, pull the cord so the seal will be pulled over the frame. Do this a little bit at a time and when the cord has been pulled work the seal to better fit over the frame. This may include hitting the windshield with an open hand. As the windshield is being worked into place, it does have more than usual stress on it and may crack so don't hit it too much.

6. When the cord has been totally removed, continue to work the seal to fit the windshield into place. the seal will move to cover the "teeth" on the windshielf frame. The teeth are what grabs the seal to hold it onto the car.

You will know when the seal is sitting properly. There is no need for any sealant, vasoline or other gunk. All that stuff does is make a mess.

It's pretty easy to do, just take your time and try not to stress the glass too much.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

In my top diy, I show the string trick for the rear window..... it is the same.
Also: http://www.fordmuscle.com/2007/05/insta ... ack-glass/ Yes it is a rear window but you will get the idea.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
84Vert
What year is your cabby?: 1984

Post by 84Vert »

Thanks Brian, I appreciate it. Doesn't sound too difficult just need to ne careful
84 Rabbit Convertible