The past week in Car repair

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: The past week in Car repiar

Post by Briano1234 »

Calimus wrote:Nice to see some folks getting their wrench on. I'm a bit sidelined. I wrenched by back Friday and haven't been worth a damn since. Was able to go to work today though so I'm getting better. Sore as hell though.

See what happens when you talk to me? CA-CA Occurs... as Friday I was in the ER myself.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by Calimus »

You're no jinx Brian. What happened to me was a product of my own stupidity and I knew it when I did it, but thought I got away with it cause the nerve didn't get pinched right away.

Hope the ER trip wasn't to serious and that things are in a better direction for ya now sir
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Calimus wrote:You're no jinx Brian. What happened to me was a product of my own stupidity and I knew it when I did it, but thought I got away with it cause the nerve didn't get pinched right away.

Hope the ER trip wasn't to serious and that things are in a better direction for ya now sir
Well It wasn't a Heart Attack, and after 2 days of tests, it appears that it may be a side effect of the "Chantix" drug....Which I have stopped taking, now at least I don't want to kill folks...Sad note is that I may have these issues for up to 30 days after stopping that drug....And that may have been the primary cause of my issue too.....

Time will tell....Still feel like crap, but everyday I see improvement to a point.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Modern medicine, ain't it a bitch? Hope that does clear things up and sooner then 30 days. Glad the homicidal tendencies are on the down-hill as well. Was wondering if I was going to need to keep you just beyond your reach at BAP to be safe :P
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Another week, without being able to work on a car,,,, so I decided to take 2 margartitas, and call it a day.
Briano

Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Hey Doc, you think you could prescribe the same for me? Or would this fall under self medicating?

Changed the plugs in the A6 yesterday. I swear, aside from a 93' Ford Aerostar (plugs have to be done from under the van), these were the biggest PITA to get to of any car/truck I've delt with so far. The plugs themselves are easy enough to remove/replace. It's the amount of shit you have to remove to get to them that is the problem. Engine covers, airbox, coolent exp tank & intake piping. Not to mention the valve covers have dress up covers over them which must be removed and the coil packs are bolted down to boot.

Still, only too me an hour, not too bad for having to figure it out as I went. I can see 30min being the average for the job.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
vw_nick

Post by vw_nick »

spent 6.5 hours at work today, replaced timing belt and water pump, installed an aftermarket oil cooler and trailer wiring, and re-balanced and rotated tires on Otto Pilot. Last weekend it was the other part of the 105k on her car - spark plugs, atf, rear end fluid, air filter, pollen filter... also earlier this week I replaced the RF spring perch (inner part of the strut bearing - it's separate) on the volvo - it's registred and insured now... (still needs more work though) and also installed new 3-rib farm tires on the front of the rail buggy and re-painted the wheels while I was at it, since one of them was all blue from where it was on the top of the stack in the garage where we painted the chassis...
Nick
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Well I finally decided it was time to retrieve the project car from winter hibernation and bring it home.

The car wintered very well, except for being dirty, one tire was a little on the flat side. I installed the battery and it started first turn of the key (not bad for sitting for six months).

I got the car home just as it began to snow (crule April Fools joke from mother nature). and over 20 cm of snow fell. Meanwhile the two bunnies were safely in the garage.

The next step is to peel the top off and prepare for the replacment. I also have a few little mods I want to do over the next little while.

Maybe I'll get some pictures over the next few days.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
gull

Post by gull »

Spent most of the afternoon chasing an intermittent misfire. The car was due for spark plugs and wires, so I swapped those first; no change. The timing light showed missing ignition pulses when the car misfired, so I swapped the coil with a spare, then swapped the ignition module with the one from the other car -- still no change. I think that pretty much narrows it down to the Hall effect sender. I ordered a new one, which will hopefully come soon; I really need this car in a couple weeks.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
eric4321
What year is your cabby?: 1993

Post by eric4321 »

Gull you did not say you changed the cap and rotor. I had an intermitent misfire on mine today and replaced the cap and rotor and it runs great now.
My Rabbit Rescue and Recovery Ranch
93 Cabriolet red. 5 speed
81 Rabbit 4 door auto bronze (project)
77 Rabbit 4 dr 4spd diesel
(Project next in line)
1987 Cabriolet parts car(may one day bring her back)
1993 Suburban green(used for Rabbit rescue)
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

I fought a misfire on my Green Wienie and what it ended up being was one bad spark wire, and two bad plugs in a new set of Bosch Plats, that is why I only rock NGK, and measure each with a ohmmeter before I put them in... Once Burnt twice learnt.

I also could confirm it as I swapped out the plugs and wires with my running cabby to find out where the problem was....sometimes it is good to have a spare.
Briano

gull

Post by gull »

eric4321 wrote:Gull you did not say you changed the cap and rotor. I had an intermitent misfire on mine today and replaced the cap and rotor and it runs great now.
I didn't replace them, but I inspected them and dressed the contacts with a file. The cap and rotor have about 20K miles on them and still looked good. The spark plugs were throughly worn out though. They were Bosch non-platinums. The replacements are NGKs.
gull

Post by gull »

Boy, the guy who wrote the hall effect sender procedure in the Haynes manual sure had a sick sense of humor. The book says to remove the circlip and then pry the trigger wheel up off the distributor shaft with two screwdrivers. Yeah, right. I bent two screwdrivers trying to do that. That thing is really on there. It seems to be rusted to the shaft. The rotor had rust under it too. Dunno how rust happens inside the dizzy, but there you go.

I pulled the distributor, thinking maybe I could drive out the pin that holds the drive gear to the shaft, and pull the whole shaft out, trigger wheel and all. No good. I couldn't get the pin to budge at all.

At this point I'm thinking the sensible thing to do might be to get another dizzy from the junkyard.
PDX Cabby
The Living Bentley Manual
What year is your cabby?: 1985

Post by PDX Cabby »

yeah, not easy. I know of a yard down here that has, last i checked, 3 dizzys. Guy at the counter said $50. Then i discovered my plug wasn't fully engaged and didn't need 'em...
85 Cab - 1.9L 8v, g-grind, euro dual downs to TT race w/ Borla, VWMS fuel dizzy, 2H tranny with 5th gear swap, TT short shift, FK 60/40, 15" BBS RA, rear disks... begging for boost...
PDX Cabby
The Living Bentley Manual
What year is your cabby?: 1985

Post by PDX Cabby »

In the past week i've learned:

-my canvas top is in need of protection. It's absorbing rain, rather than repelling it. Picking up some 303 Fabric Guard tomorrow
-the mk3 exhaust clamp I've been using to mate the TT euro race downpipes to the TT cat-back exhaust isn't upto the job. can't clamp down onthe flange enough to keep from slipping. makes some horrible rattling at idle
-i really need to disassemble and clean my WUR. I can't get my backup WUR apart to clean it first...

In the plast week I've:
-replaced my (-) battery terminal and ground. Finally upgraded to a 2 gauge ground cable. Thought about replacing the (+) but will wait till later dates.
-finally removed the A/C pipes going through the firewall
-upgraded to 80/100w bulbs (whoa!)
-toyed with going to a 120amp alternator
-dreamed more of supercharging the cabby
85 Cab - 1.9L 8v, g-grind, euro dual downs to TT race w/ Borla, VWMS fuel dizzy, 2H tranny with 5th gear swap, TT short shift, FK 60/40, 15" BBS RA, rear disks... begging for boost...