Greasing your Door Latches

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Greasing your Door Latches

Post by Briano1234 »

How to Remove Door lock.
My door locks were getting sticky so it is now the time to remove clean and re-grease them.

Open your door.

Insert your favorite 6mm Allen and remove both screws.

Pull out on the latch assembly, and remove the push button nylon off the finger, then pry off the inner door pull from the hooked finger.

Now look at the back of it….Filled with yucky binding grease road grime….

CLEAN IT.

I used Brake Cleaner to remove all the old crud.

Now work your favorite axle grease into the Mechanisms pivot points, and work it in.
Be sure to get the latch and the locking pivots I used Marine grade Grease it is the blue goo you see.

Find the inner pull if it went back in to the door frame.

Then lock the latch. Pry down on the inner pull finger on the latch assembly with a straight blade screw driver, and hook it over the door pull.
Place the lock pull nylon over the upper lock finger, and place door latch on the car, insert the
screws tighten them.
Close the door and feel how smoother the operation is….. You are all set. One of the easiest preventative maintenance things you can do. 10 minutes tops.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: Greasing your Door Latches

Post by Calimus »

Don't forget to grease the hinges as well. I've found some very carefully applied never-sieze to be the end all be all. Problem is, it's silver and it damn sure doesn't come out of clothing or any kind of interior material. Hence why I said, very carefully applied. :D
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
gull

Post by gull »

I have a tube of all-purpose white grease I like to use for stuff like that. It was originally intended for VCRs and tape decks, so I know it's safe for plastic, and it doesn't stain.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

I have tried a mirade of things on the door hinges. Possibly even the same white grease your are talking about. What I found is that the summers here just cook the hell outta it and by winter, it squeek and creak time. Trust me, I hate using the never-sieze, but so far I'm at 2 years and counting on all 5 vw's and not a single squeek. I'd still call it a last resort option though.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
gull

Post by gull »

Hey, it's hard to argue with success.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force