Project Cheapskate

Ok, ok, I mean the cars and thats all I mean. If you have pics of your "Cars" out on the net somewhere, link the image of your "Car" here.

For those of you that don't have a place on the net to host your pics, contact our pic master Calimus at calimus@techography.net

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

windsorlove
What year is your cabby?: 1990

Project Cheapskate

Post by windsorlove »

First of all let me say hello to the forum. This site has been highly recommended to my by my friend Rick (if he posted here it would either be Fester or Lord Fester). I recently (about 2 weeks ago) became the owner of a 1990 Cabriolet and have loved every second of ownership. My normal daily, a 1998 Jetta, has been sitting for those two weeks. For now I have found a second home and my newest knowledge base.

A little background on the car:
I got the car from my brother-in-law's best friend's ex-girlfriend. She was going to scrap the car until she found out I was interested in it. Head up to her house with the basics (jumper cables, plugs, oil, gas) with the "if it can leave the property under its own power, its coming home." Mind you, the car sat for 2 years. We put the cables to it and it fired right up. Needless to say my reaction was :shock: . Then it came to the price negotiation... or lack there of. She came out with the old title and the old registration and said "there you go, enjoy it." Again my reaction was :shock: , I just scored a 1990 Cabriolet for free!!! Sure it has its quirks, but what VW doesn't.

Plans: Old school build up
The clipper kit is going, the dual round grill is going. Small Euro plastic bumpers, MK1 fender covers/flares, large duck bill, and single round grill will make up the front end. New top needs to go on it, more than likely it will be black. Some small rust holes need to be fixed, one of them is at the base of the windshield. Still not sure what color I want to go with, more than likely it will be satin finish with some hot rod inspired touches. Wheels will be either Porsche Fuch replicas or MK1 steels. There are alot of plans going through my mind, I just need to sort them out. I have set a budget of $1000 out of pocket, this does not include sale of parts that i am not using.

Pics to come after lunch. :mrgreen:
windsorlove

Re: Project Cheapskate

Post by windsorlove »

As promised

dent in the fender

The Daily
ibennett
What year is your cabby?: 1988

Post by ibennett »

If you live anywhere remotely close to me I'd be glad to take the rims off your hands. Good luck on the budget, I think you'll need it!

P.S. Excellent find.
Volkswagons don't leak oil, they just mark their spot!

Ilene
windsorlove

Post by windsorlove »

what would be considered remotely close? i am in Rhode Island
ibennett
What year is your cabby?: 1988

Post by ibennett »

Virginia or South Carolina would have been better, I live in North Carolina. My car is posted just under yours here. You could always drop them off and leave them with my Aunt, she lives in Providence! LOL
Volkswagons don't leak oil, they just mark their spot!

Ilene
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by CalAltaDubber »

windsorlove wrote:As promised

Looks like a solid car.

I would check the shock towers for rust and the rest is pretty streight forward.

One simple thing to do is give it a good wash. That will help you find some of the more suttle rust spots.

In any event you have an excellent starting point.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
kuklaki
Admin Type Person
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by kuklaki »

It'll take work time and money but it she can be pretty. Actually, I believe one of Brian's started out like that and he did wonders (shameless promo for brian to chime in)
Best of luck and a warm welcome from TRF!!
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

kuklaki wrote:It'll take work time and money but it she can be pretty. Actually, I believe one of Brian's started out like that and he did wonders (shameless promo for brian to chime in)
Best of luck and a warm welcome from TRF!!

Me chime in? OH HELL NO............. Kinda remineds me of my 90 white rabbit... got her all spified up, ready for paint and BAP, and low and behold
Get rear ended... Had to total the darn thing (they threw too much monies at me.. :) ) It takes time welcome to cabby hood.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
windsorlove

Post by windsorlove »

Thanks for the welcome guys and gals. Sorry its been a while since the last post so here is the update. Took the car for safety inspection and it failed miserably. Tie rods (inners), brakes, axle boot torn...a rolling death trap. The break issue has been narrowed down to a leak. I believe it to be a wheel cylinder, I am going to try to diagnose/fix that leak over the next few days. As for the car, it has been washed. Those pictures were taken when I first got her home. There hasnt been any unexpected rust found yet, all of it appears to be very visible. Under the car is clean as hell for a 20 year old car. No rust, hell the pinch welds arent even crushed.

Just recently the car under went a minor face lift and hopefully soon there will be more of a facelift. It just comes down to time and money.

As she sits now.
windsorlove

Post by windsorlove »

After a little lurking on the website, the guy that directed me here used the screen name "DubChicks Hubby." He is Fester on the Ocean State Dubs site and LordFester on VWVortex. More lurking has led me to Tuna Salad, another local to Ocean State Dubs and another person who directed me to this site.