A new(old) VW enthusiat....

Ok, ok, I mean the cars and thats all I mean. If you have pics of your "Cars" out on the net somewhere, link the image of your "Car" here.

For those of you that don't have a place on the net to host your pics, contact our pic master Calimus at calimus@techography.net

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Blackbelt
What year is your cabby?: 1987

A new(old) VW enthusiat....

Post by Blackbelt »

Hi! I registered, so i figured it would be good to start posting. I have been a VW enthusiast my entire life(i am 51). I have owned many different ones over the years. I think my favorite was my 1983 GTi. I bought it new on 3/7/83, and sold it 6/22/02. I VERY much regret selling it. I have had a half dozen bunnies, a few beetles, and a type 3 FB. My most recent VW was a 1985 Scirocco. It was in great condition, i bought it off of a mechanical engineering professor. It had one of the nicest respray jobs of mars red i had ever seen.
I liked it better with the snowflakes.
As much fun as my 'rocco was, i grew bored with it. I decided to let it go, and sold it in Feb of 07. Then i started looking for it's replacement. I just adopted the attitude that i really didn't know exactly what i was looking for, but i would know it when i found it..LOL (that part just makes my wife smile...).
In June of 07, my wife wanted to go to a cruise on a Saturday that was being held at a body shop that she drove past on her way back and forth from work. It is a nice shop that does a lot of muscle car type restoration. She wanted to take her SAAB to the cruise(the blue car in the pict is her 1969 SAAB 96 V-4, her birthday present in 05). We got to the cruise around 2, but it didnt officially start until 3, so there were only a handful of cars there. As soon as we got there, we were both drawn towards a white cabby parked just up the hill a bit from us. The top was down, and i could see what appeared to be a sign of some type on the other side of the car, on the rear window. I walked around and it was a 'for sale' sign....then my jaw dropped. My wife said "how much'? When i told her, she immediatly said "your going to buy it, right?", to which i replied.."i am ALL over this"!!! We found the owner, who as it turned out was a body man there at the shop. He bought it a few years prior because it had a spotless underside, but needed some restoration work. He stripped it to bare metal, fixed everything that needed to be fixed, and repainted it. He put all new leather seatcovers and door cards on it. Then a new top, some basic mechanical stuff(fuel pump, alternator, etc). After he was done, he drove it a little bit, then got bored and bought a rolled civic and started working on it. Apparantly, his profession is also his hobby. The only thing he told me was wrong was that the clutch was a little weak.He said he already had a new clutch and PP for it. I told him if he put the clutch in and inspected it(it was a few months from expiring) , i would pay him his asking price(which IMHO was kind of low for the amount of $$ in the car). He agreed, and about a month later i became the proud owner of a 1987 Wolfsburg edition triple white cabriolet.
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Re: A new(old) VW enthusiat....

Post by kamzcab86 »

Very pretty -- that re-spray was very well done! :thumbup: Welcome to TRF! 8)
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

She is a sharpie, that is all I can say... looks really sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet.............

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Very, very, very nice!!!

That looks like it just rolled out of the factory.

Welcome to TRF. Hope to hear more from you.

I recognised the Saab, I haven't seen one of those since I lived in Europe.

By the way, Did i say your cabby was very nice?
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Blackbelt

Post by Blackbelt »

Thanks. I have the cabby and SAAB tucked away in a rented garage for the winter, and boy do i miss driving her! I stop by once a week and run them both for a while, and if its nice i take turns driving them around the block. Looking forward to spring!
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Man, that was a damn nice rocco. If you had to unload a rocco, a bunny that clean is an acceptable replacement. I'm a bit bias though as I love my rocco.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Blackbelt

Post by Blackbelt »

Calimus wrote:Man, that was a damn nice rocco. If you had to unload a rocco, a bunny that clean is an acceptable replacement. I'm a bit bias though as I love my rocco.
Yes, it was a VERY clean rocco. It was kind of at a crossroads though. it had a few electrical gremlins that were eluding me(the kind that kept it from starting), plus the tranny was getting tired(beating the 2nd gear synchros was petty easy). I had to decide whether or not to give her the $$ and time she deserved, or to move on. I think one of the deciding factors for me is that i am 51 y.o. 6'1" and 270#. Getting in and out of the rocco was 'interesting'. The cabby is a lot easier on my back. i was actually hoping to find an 83 GTi, but when i spotted this cabby i could not resist, especially since it has the JH and 9A
Here are a few more picts of the 'rocco
grellow

Post by grellow »

love the rocco

and white is the best colour 8)

is that an old saab v4?
sooooooo cool!
Blackbelt

Post by Blackbelt »

grellow wrote:love the rocco

and white is the best colour 8)

is that an old saab v4?
sooooooo cool!
Yep, it's a 69. I have had it for a few years.
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Very nice rocco. An yea, the electrical gremlins can get on your nerves in a hurry. Def a nice collection you have going there. :thumbup:
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
kuklaki
Admin Type Person

Post by kuklaki »

Wow....I mean WOW! That is a gorgeous Cabby. Seems quite a few collectors of some really nice cars are showing up lately. I love the lineup pic with the Scirocco and friends 8)
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)
Blackbelt

Post by Blackbelt »

Thanks! I have been trying to decide whether or not to start modding it, or keep it all stock(except for the front air dam, but i kinda like the look). I am leaning towards keeping it stock, and finding an A1 or A2 Gti to mod....
kamzcab86

Post by kamzcab86 »

She's pretty just the way she is! :thumbup: 8)
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

kamzcab86 wrote:She's pretty just the way she is! :thumbup: 8)
Oh listen to the person formally called the queen of stock...... NOT NO MORE....

:)

It looks to quote Billy Crystal "MARVVVVVVVVVVVELous"
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
kamzcab86

Post by kamzcab86 »

Briano1234 wrote:
kamzcab86 wrote:She's pretty just the way she is! :thumbup: 8)
Oh listen to the person formally called the queen of stock...... NOT NO MORE....

:)
Yeah, yeah... if the paint on mine looked as fabulous as the paint on the OP's Cab, mine wouldn't have been touched. :wink: