New member ,with "Tunes" question

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

65val
What year is your cabby?: 1984

New member ,with "Tunes" question

Post by 65val »

Hi All. This is my first post on this site. I bought my daughter an '84 Rabbit 'vert and we've been working through some of the problems it came with. (Thanks to Kammy and her site for many answers ,and to the "Bentley Site" as well) My daughter wants to install a decent sound system. I think we can figure out the deck situation, but I would like to know what the members here are running for speakers and their mounting arrangements. I have to admit, even I dont like the sounds of the "dinky" speakers that are mounted in the stock locations (I'm a '60's and '70's music lover) She doesn't want a stereo that'll win competions, but just something that won't be embarrassing, and have some good bass.

All suggetions welcome...and pics are even better.

Thanks for letting me join up!

Darwin
BC, Canada
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: New member ,with "Tunes" question

Post by Briano1234 »

Welcome to the TRF, what with that said, the thread police are going to give you your first violation if you don't post pics of your cabby.

We who are tone deaf, or in my case deaf in one ear and can't hear out of the other one, will not give you but the following advise.
This is a vert, as such they are prone to having the top slashed to remove the stereo's, which totally ruins your day.
My best advice is to remove the face plates and lock it in the glove box, for the rest of the stuff like the amp and all place that in the trunk.

Also if you get one that uses usb ports, then you don't need the thousands of CD's, just a bunch of jump drives will do.

Welcome to Cabbyhood.

Awesome site.....
http://www.cabby-info.com

All you ever wanted to know about cabby's but were afraid to ask.
Last edited by Briano1234 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by Calimus »

I have some good info in this area, but don't have the time to post while at work. I'll see if I can get it all in as soon as I get home.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

Kenwood head unit in mine (accessing the menu is a pain the ass, but other than that it's not bad -- plugging in the iPod is all I really cared about, along with it looking good in the dash).

I kept the stock size speakers when I replaced all four: Infinity 3.5" for the rears and 4x6" Pioneers up front. I thought the Pioneers sucked... until I removed the dash to do some work, among which included rewiring the front speakers; the Pioneers sound much better now, but I'd rather put the Infinity's I've got in there (but that would require hacking up the door cards, something I refuse to do -- damn magnets are too big :x ). I, honestly, recommend re-wiring the audio system if you can; makes a world of difference.

But, like Brian said, don't spend a lot of money if this is her daily driver... otherwise it'll cost you (and/or your daughter) a lot more down the road. :beer:
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Welcome to TRF, Always nice to see new folks from the Great White North joining us.

What part of BC are you in? I am in Calgary.

Part of crusin' with the top down is the fact that the wind noise does make it harder to hear the sterio.

I would suggest to visit all the local car Audio places (Future Shop, Best Buy, Visions and (if they still exist in your area) A&B Sound before you purchase a system.

I know they all sell about the same thing, but deals can be had and remember to bring the sales flyers with you for the competitors (they will meet or beat the competition).

For a good sound, I would suggest larger speakers in the rear, with a small amp (about 100 Watts per channel) would be fine.

Because the amp will require additional current to operate, I would also suggest that you upgrade the alternator (if the car does not have A/C).

A/C cars came equipped with a 90 Amp alternator as opposed to the 65 Amp alternators in the non A/C cars

This is easy, just go to your local Pick 'N Pull and find a MK II Jetta that has A/C. Just take the alternator and the bracket that supports the top of the alternator.

They will directly replace the ones currently in the cabby. And Pick 'N Pull usually charges about $30.

It's a nice power upgrade cheap.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
gull

Post by gull »

I did basically what CalAltaDubber suggests. The previous owner had already upgraded the speakers, but the volume was insufficient with the top down. I kept the stock head unit and installed a small amp for the rear speakers. I think the amp I used was about 60 watts per channel, which wasn't going to rattle windows but was enough for my purposes. This requires an amp with speaker-level inputs, since there are no line level outputs on the stock head unit.

I used the power antenna terminal on the radio to trigger the amp's remote turn-on circuit. This is a little tricky to wire because there's no contact for it in the wiring harness plug, but if you have steady hands and are good with a soldering iron you can tack-solder a thin wire to the correct pin on the radio's connector, then pull the wire through the empty hole on the plug. (If you're not up to that, you could wire a separate switch for the amp or connect it to the ignition switch.) Amp power comes from a dedicated, fused wire that runs under the carpet and then through the firewall to the battery + terminal. For the audio hookup, I cut and spliced the rear speaker wires where they ran under the rear seat.

I really wanted to keep the stock head unit because I figured anything else would be a magnet for thieves. The amp is mounted in the trunk, so it's out of sight. I mounted it to the steel brace behind the back seat. I would not mount it to the trunk floor because that area can collect water if your top springs a leak.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
65val
What year is your cabby?: 1984

Post by 65val »

Thanks for all the tips!

Brian...There is an old Denon cassette head unit installed at present with a CD stacker in the trunk. I think we'll keep that setup as nobody in their right mind would want to steal a "cassette" deck these days!! Also, I have told my daughter to never lock the car,and to never leave anything of value in it,just to save the top from being sliced open.

Kammy...We tried replacing the stock, mostly blown speakers with some Boston Acoustics', but there still isnt much volune, and it sounds like a cheap transistor radio (They're just too small to make decent sound). I was hoping to install a sub in the trunk and some sort of different speaker arrangement in the cabin for better sound.
CalAltaDubber...I'm (and the car) in Victoria BC

Gull... I'll probably get an amp of some sort for her to, at least, run a sub in the trunk.

What would you guys do about speakers in the cabin, for decent sound while keeping the "stealth look"? Can I hide something like 6x9's ,or equivalents, somewhere up front without cutting door panels and the like?

Thanks again,

Darwin
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

65val wrote:Thanks for all the tips!

What would you guys do about speakers in the cabin, for decent sound while keeping the "stealth look"? Can I hide something like 6x9's ,or equivalents, somewhere up front without cutting door panels and the like?

Darwin
I don't see why not. I, personnally would go that route before a sub. Simply because there isn't a lot of room in the trunk to begin with.

I'm sure you could do something. I have heard of a set of 6X9s installed in the rear, that's where the amp would com in.

I have something similar in mind for my project cabby.

you might try some of the club forums in Vancouver/Victoria to find some of the items you are talking about. Certianly Club Vee-Dub in Calgary http://www.clubveedub.com is a place to start, you can expand your search from there.

I like the idea of the oldcassete deck It also matches the age of the car.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
cwingerter

Post by cwingerter »

I might be wrong, but didn't latter year Cabriolets have a larger map pocket speaker box available? Those larger boxes can accommodate something heftier than than the std 4 x 6. Check ebay for the larger pockets.
Also, there are several smaller integrated amps/woofers than can go under the passenger seat and give a big boost. You can actually go cheaper on a deck and get a simple sony with an aux input for an iPod. (around 80 bucks for the deck).
Good luck.
--89 White Cabriolet--aka the White Shadow
gull

Post by gull »

I'd upgrade the rear speakers first. There's more room back there, and you may find the small fronts are adequate with some bass and midrange support from the back. That's what I found, anyway, but my standards may not be as high as yours.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force