Your opinions on a new top

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Dennishawn

Your opinions on a new top

Post by Dennishawn »

Can anyone tell me their opinion on what brand vinyl replacement top to buy? I do not want to spend a lot but I know some of the less costly ones are low quality and look bad. I have a 1986 Wolfsburg with a grey top.

Anyone have any experience with the tops CabrioWorld sells? They seem almost too cheap. I see Haartz, Electro and Kee as popular brands for tops. Any experience with these?

I also need a new pad, as there isnt much left of my original one.

Also if anyone knows of a good place to have to have it done and the cost I should expect. I am in Florida.
Thanks!
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Your opinions on a new top

Post by Briano1234 »

I have bought 3 off of ebay, one from Cabrioworld (TMI) and 2 from AABest.

For the installation, that runs between 300 and 700 from what I have been told.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
kuklaki
Admin Type Person
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by kuklaki »

Brian has done his share of top replacements himself, and can vouch for both of those compnies. CabrioWorld come highly recommended but he has had great service with AABest, too.

Depending on where you order, they may give you options for vinyl type if you are wanting a vinyl replacement (for grey, which is also what I have, I'd recommend vinyl over canvas-the grey canvas doesnt look good, IMO only) stay away from "pinpoint" vinyl. You want "grain" vinyl. It is better quality and asthetically superior.

There are several DIY instructions for a top replacement if you are feeling brave, stupid, broke, or all three. If you go this route, make sure you have a helper, enough time and supplies to do it right, and some sort of stress relieving beverage. If seen some of the DIY jobs from Brian, VWNick and another member, Juan and all of these guys did a beautiful job.

As for recommending a shop to do it for you, I can not help there. If you had no plans on doing it yourself, talk to your local VW mechanics and bodyshops for referrals-or even talk to some of the local aircooled guys for a recommendation. The Samba (dot com) might be a good resource for finding someone good in your area.
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Cabrio world uses TMI. AABest I think goes thru a company in NY

for a how to:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1611
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Briano1234 wrote:Cabrio world uses TMI. AABest I think goes thru a company in NY

for a how to:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1611
These are probably the best set of instructions on how to replace a top.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

M&T Mfg. also sells TMI products and I can tell you the top I bought from them looks identical to the original top... except it's bright white and isn't falling apart. :mrgreen:
Dennishawn

Post by Dennishawn »

Thanks for the thoughts, maybe CabrioWorld will work ok. Now I just need a reasonable installer that will do it with parts I buy myself so they cant mark that up too!
Shatteredglass
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by Shatteredglass »

CabrioWorld emailed me and said the top they sell for the Cabriolet is made by EZ ON.
(or at least the one they sell currently is)
Dennishawn

Post by Dennishawn »

Well I am still doing my top research

CabrioWorld emailed me and said they have NEVER heard of TMI, the use EZon.
Jbugs uses TMI.
Convertible top guys / a division of M+T manufacturing said they use a top by
Auotops/ Germanex.

I am so confused. I just dont want a super cheap thin bad lookin vinyl but I cant spend a fortune either. Others say Robbins is good.
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by gull »

I bought mine from Cabrioworld and it looks just fine. A lot of the appearance is in the installation -- the vast majority of the Cabriolets I see have sloppy top installations or broken hardware, usually the tension cables over the side windows. The color does not quite match the top that was on the car before, but that wasn't the original top either. (The car was parked in a high crime area for a while and went through at least two tops before I got my hands on it.)

On the other hand, I bought my headliner from Ebay and I was less than impressed with the quality. It was TMI, I think, and supposedly new old stock. I suspect it was a factory second. It's OK, and you can't get that good a look at it inside the car anyway, but I would spring for a good one if I were doing it again. I love the color, though -- it's black, instead of the stock white, and I like the effect.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
GREENGOLF
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by GREENGOLF »

http://www.gibble.com/ Is who's doing my top. $650 installed is their price, I can't see buying the stuff to do it for that kind of price. They're just north of me so I can't go wrong with that.