It's always something... ain't it.

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

It's always something... ain't it.

Post by Briano1234 »

Yesterday, I had to take my son up to the water park at lake lanier him and some friends were enjoying the last full day of vacation before Classes and their Senior year start.

Drive my blue bunny

So tooling up to the lake, top up a/c on tunes cranking......

Get home park the car, and the after run fan was still going....... no biggie, the car ran really cool getting up there.

I go out on the back porch 40 minutes later and the fan is still going warp 37 okay unplug the fan it stopped.. plugged it back in and it was still stopped.

Turn the car on, a/c on and the fan cut to high speed turned the car off and dam the fan was running....hi-speed....

Run to the drawer and I don't have any 40 relays... run to Pull-a-part...

Replaced the relay, problem solved..... Dam them things....

Also noticed that the ISV wasn't working right so remove, clean replace and wow I now have a normal cold rpm indication....

Tain't one thing it's another.

So I am gonna treat myself to a Bar-B-Que Sammich tonight......
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by Calimus »

Brian, you couldn't be more right. Cristines rocco has been running great since I installed the fuel pump you gave me from your white parts bunny. However, last weekend we had to take the rocco to the cabin in alabama to retrieve an antique desk. We hit some yard sale traffic on the way and gues what? The pump started making some noise and the rocco sputtered a bit. We managed to get there and back though. If we were on open road, no problems. But with the temps as they have been, any time we sat for a bit, the pump would act up.

I can't complain though, that pump has held up well considering it was of unknown condition.

Like you said, if it's not one thing, it's another. :D
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

Haven't driven mine in about a month. Why? Because after prettying up her engine bay and giving her a couple of new sensors/senders, she decided purge brake fluid out of a rear cylinder. :evil: :roll:

I swear, these things reach a certain age and they say, "Well! Since I got these pretty new shoes, I want everything else to be new!!! :D " :banghead:
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

I guess it could be worse. The Topless Bunny has been a dream to drive this summer. Its the project car that has me spurting out choice four letter words.

I had noticed that there was a rust spot on the replacment driver's door I bought. While working on that I noticed that there was something on the front bottom corner of the door, so I started to sand there too.

Well it turned out that about half of the door was Bondo.

A trip to Pick 'n Pull revieled an'83 Cabby. Problem is some moron had tried (and failed) to remove the door glass, leaving what was a pristine door all screwed up. I grabbed the trunk lid because it is in better condition that the one on the project.

Next cam a miriad of phone calls to contacts in the region which led to one near Lethbridge (about a two hour drive south of here). Turns out that another moron had punched a big hole in the middle of what was otherwise a good door. At least I didn't have to drive there for nothing.

Finally I contact another wrecker (one with a varing reputation) they have a door, but it has no glass, for about 1/3 more than I really wanted to pay. Oh well I go for it.

At least this door is in good shape. No bondo, and only a small ding that can be fixed. I have recovered the glass and the trim from the other two doors (good to have spares). The only problem is cleaning all the shattered glass and other crap out of the door.

Pictures soon.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
kuklaki
Admin Type Person

Post by kuklaki »

CalAltaDubber wrote:I guess it could be worse. The Topless Bunny has been a dream to drive this summer. Its the project car that has me spurting out choice four letter words.

I had noticed that there was a rust spot on the replacment driver's door I bought. While working on that I noticed that there was something on the front bottom corner of the door, so I started to sand there too.

This is the one that you paid too much for in the first place???? :evil: Grrrrrr I'm sorry :cry:
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

kuklaki wrote:
CalAltaDubber wrote:I guess it could be worse. The Topless Bunny has been a dream to drive this summer. Its the project car that has me spurting out choice four letter words.

This is the one that you paid too much for in the first place???? :evil: Grrrrrr I'm sorry :cry:
No it was one I picked up cheap. At least I got the glass out of it.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

A trip to Pick 'n Pull revieled an'83 Cabby. Problem is some moron had tried (and failed) to remove the door glass, leaving what was a pristine door all screwed up. I grabbed the trunk lid because it is in better condition that the one on the project.

Next cam a miriad of phone calls to contacts in the region which led to one near Lethbridge (about a two hour drive south of here). Turns out that another moron had punched a big hole in the middle of what was otherwise a good door. At least I didn't have to drive there for nothing.

Finally I contact another wrecker (one with a varing reputation) they have a door, but it has no glass, for about 1/3 more than I really wanted to pay. Oh well I go for it.

At least this door is in good shape. No bondo, and only a small ding that can be fixed. I have recovered the glass and the trim from the other two doors (good to have spares). The only problem is cleaning all the shattered glass and other crap out of the door.

Pictures soon.
Know that feeling, I went to use a ding king on the blue ones door, and pulled a quarter sized chunk of bondo off..... needless to say that is where I learned how to take a 89 door and place it on a 93.

:)

I agree that the mk1's are rarer than hens teeth at the Pull-a-part....
But then I have my good days.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

So, the rear brakes got replaced and before heading heading off to dinner Sunday night, decide to road test the car around the 'hood. Everything is hunky-dory except for one thing: water temp was pegged and the light was blinking... for the first time ever. Culprit: New water temp gauge sender bought from GAP is faulty. :roll: :x :banghead:
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Well the water temp gauge decided to go south, it is open from the sensor to the gauge, so later this week I have to take the cluster out and repair it....It's alway something isn't it.
Briano

gull

Post by gull »

Heh, the other day I drive my Cabriolet to work because it's a nice day. On the way home, in traffic, I smell burning oil and think, "Man, whose car is burning oil?" Then I get home, park, and smell it again. Look at the trunklid and there's oil spots on it. Uh oh. Look underneath the car and oil is *everywhere*. It's smoking off the catalytic converter. It's dripping off the lower control arms. It's even dripping off the front air dam. And a big puddle is forming under the oil pan.

I say something unprintable and check the dipstick. The level's barely on the stick. I've gone through nearly two quarts in 60 miles.

To make a long story short, the culprit turned out to be the high oil pressure switch. It had torn its diaphragm or something like that; oil was weeping out around the electrical connector.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

gull wrote:Heh, the other day I drive my Cabriolet to work because it's a nice day. On the way home, in traffic, I smell burning oil and think, "Man, whose car is burning oil?" Then I get home, park, and smell it again. Look at the trunklid and there's oil spots on it. Uh oh. Look underneath the car and oil is *everywhere*. It's smoking off the catalytic converter. It's dripping off the lower control arms. It's even dripping off the front air dam. And a big puddle is forming under the oil pan.

I say something unprintable and check the dipstick. The level's barely on the stick. I've gone through nearly two quarts in 60 miles.

To make a long story short, the culprit turned out to be the high oil pressure switch. It had torn its diaphragm or something like that; oil was weeping out around the electrical connector.

Been there done that, cept the oil cap was off and the wife drove it 800 miles before she got back home, there was about a pint and a oil filter worth of oil in my diesel.......

Gotta love that Slick 50
Briano

gull

Post by gull »

I wonder what's the least amount of oil that can be in the pan without uncovering the oil pump pickup?
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

gull wrote:I wonder what's the least amount of oil that can be in the pan without uncovering the oil pump pickup?
Don't know, don't want to find out either,..... My Old diesel used to blow out the oil pressure sender on the side of the head ... can't say all the time, but I replaced about 5 of them in 20 years........... :)

On a side note, my daughter just wanted me to check the oil, and johnny be damned if the strut mounts are gone........... new ones on order for both cars......... Damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.... and they looked fine when I changed the shocks back in April.... I guess she drives over ruff roads.... and I never replaced mine from the curbing she did so I got it to do too. Maybe that is why I ordered 4 of them........... Can you paint rubber gold?
Briano

Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

You can paint it, but it will look horrible when it cracks. Maybe try a dye instead.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

William that was one of those rhetorically stupid questions,,,,, :)
Briano