Removing / replacing your top RE-Write

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Removing / replacing your top RE-Write

Post by Briano1234 »

Installing Your Convertible Top

See:

viewforum.php?f=27
Last edited by Briano1234 on Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
vw_nick
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by vw_nick »

Nice writeup.

My '92 top didn't have the brass chains... Also, to replace the gooky squished foamy gasket stuff between the top and the seal channels I used some pickup truck bed cap/topper mounting tape which squeezes down very thin...

Looks nice... I'm annoyed with how mine came out, as the area around the rear window has some waves/wrinkles.
Nick
kuklaki
Admin Type Person
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by kuklaki »

That is, with a doubt, he best new top writeup I have read. The pictures just make it perfect.

Thank you once again for sharing your information, I am sure many a Cabby owner will find it as important as the Bentley. And others (like me) will just be more convinced to take it somewhere and have it done :lol: Whew, that seems like a lot of work but looks amazing!!
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

:shock: Whoa!! That, sir, is gettin' FAQ'd! 8)

And 'cuz all three layers are getting replaced on mine, I'm payin' someone to do the job. :D If I was only replacing the outer top, I'd honestly try doing the replacement in my garage.
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Brian, Would you mind if I format this into some kind of manual?

That way it can be passed around to those that need it.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

The Brass chain was a idea that I had about 6 months ago (first shared here) to keep the side cables from kinking and breaking and possibly cutting the top. I never knew the measurement was exactally 37 1/4 until I got the parts cabby.

Thank you Cristine, and Kammy... it is a piece of cake actually, if I hadn't lost a day and a half tryign to straighten out my bent frame...

You are free to use and abuse, but if you charge anyone for this I will inflict the vilest of Irish Curses on you....

I just wished I hadn't dropped my camera.. the battery holder shot one way the batteries the other and when I picked up the camera the lens was half cocked and wouldn't expand or contract...

I did get it fixed, but only after working on the top a bit more.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Briano1234 wrote:You are free to use and abuse, but if you charge anyone for this I will inflict the vilest of Irish Curses on you....
Brian, Being chained to a bar and forced to drink amazingly large amounts of Guiness for the rest of my life... wait that's the blessing, I got it mixed up. :lol:

Thanks, I wouldn't charge for that, but I might bother you for the odd clairification.

PS Yes I'm Irish too.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

awesome write-up!!!! :thumbup:

i'll be printing and using this.
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

PDF'd and FAQ'd! :D 8)
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

KAMZ you are AWESOME...................................................... :) it LOOKS MARVELOOOOOOOUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSS
Briano

gull

Post by gull »

kamzcab86 wrote::shock: Whoa!! That, sir, is gettin' FAQ'd! 8)

And 'cuz all three layers are getting replaced on mine, I'm payin' someone to do the job. :D If I was only replacing the outer top, I'd honestly try doing the replacement in my garage.
I did all three layers, and honestly, it isn't that much trickier. Doing the headliner and pad adds another three or four hours of work (if you're slow, like me) but doesn't really require any more skill. You'll use a fair bit of spray glue fastening the headliner tabs to the frame, though.

The real key for me was taking lots of pictures, especially as I removed the pad and headliner. I took pictures of the details of how all the straps and hardware attached, so I could refer to them later when I had to put the thing back together. As Chilton is so fond of saying, "assembly is the reverse of removal." ;)

And Briano, lubeing the rear cable bead is one of those genius touches that I wish I'd thought of. It took me at least an hour to get that cable in place, and I had to go back later and reseat it in some places...the vinyl just didn't want to go into that channel. I broke two clothespins using them as drifts. ;) I'm sure lubeing it up would have made it go in slick as can be.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

gull wrote:
kamzcab86 wrote::shock: Whoa!! That, sir, is gettin' FAQ'd! 8)

And Briano, lubeing the rear cable bead is one of those genius touches that I wish I'd thought of. It took me at least an hour to get that cable in place, and I had to go back later and reseat it in some places...the vinyl just didn't want to go into that channel. I broke two clothespins using them as drifts. ;) I'm sure lubeing it up would have made it go in slick as can be.
The trick is removing all the excess material from the top where the rear bead and the top meet, as that allows only 1 layer of vinyl to go in to the tray, and you don't have to use a clothes pin at all, it pops right in with your hands...
Briano

gull

Post by gull »

Briano1234 wrote:The trick is removing all the excess material from the top where the rear bead and the top meet, as that allows only 1 layer of vinyl to go in to the tray, and you don't have to use a clothes pin at all, it pops right in with your hands...
I actually did trim it, and still had a hard time. Probably the difference between us is I tried to put it in "dry."
gull

Post by gull »

Oh yeah, one additional tip...when using an electric stapler, get the thickest, heaviest extension cord you can find. These things draw one big spike of current when you pull the trigger, and the extra resistance of an extension cord takes power away from the stapling action. You want to minimize this.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Re: Removing / replacing your top RE-Write

Post by Briano1234 »

Added a section on the Rear Window Frame... and some pics of making your side cables.
Briano