Cooling fans, previous owners, and assuming too much

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Calimus wrote:Yea, I might be doing the same. The fan in Cristines rocco seems to have bit the big one. Sounds like a playing card in the spokes of a bicycle at 10k rpm's with a bag of marbles tossed in for good measure. :shock:

Lucky for me I have a spare. And Ben, the only reason I didn't offer it to ya when you started asking about a source for your caddy was the fact that I knew the rocco's was in the death spiral. Otherwise I would have hooked ya up.
Remember to clean the bearings on the old one and spray them lightly with pb-blaster. I did that to my white cabby and it took off and shot so much hot air out of the vents that I thought I was in Washington DC. I know they are oil-light bearings but cleaning them and lightly lubing them go a long way.

Also when cleaning the commutators, (the copper parts between the brushes that are actually the winding take offs) I use a straight pin to clean the carbon out of between them. Then I also take a pencil eraser and polish the copper tabs.

Usually I have found that Fans that have noise at high speeds are probably full of leaves and crap.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by gull »

The nice thing about these cars is you don't actually need the heater fan all that much. At any speed much above 20 mph, the car's forward motion pushes quite a bit of air through the heater. I routinely turn mine off on the highway to prolong its life.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

And Ben, the only reason I didn't offer it to ya when you started asking about a source for your caddy was the fact that I knew the rocco's was in the death spiral. Otherwise I would have hooked ya up
no worrries mang.
i have a brand spanking new one sitting here waiting for me to have some free time to play.
:D
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
DaisyDub

Post by DaisyDub »

1lowcab wrote:i'll take a step by step pictorial for you this weekend as i'll be replacing mine in the caddy. :)
That sounds awesome!! Thank you so much! :D
-Tara
92 Jasmine Cabriolet
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

well, i didn't take any pics on the blower removel just because it's SO damn easy!!!!!!
at least it is on the caddy, it has factory no A/C so that might have made it easier. to remove and install it took all of 30mins!

so after i was done with that i fixed my heater controls, the cable that goes to the heater valve was sticking.
then i took out the speedo cluster and changed the lighting to blue LEDs with orange needles... i love that look.
all in all a very productive day.

Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

1lowcab wrote:well, i didn't take any pics on the blower removel just because it's SO damn easy!!!!!!
at least it is on the caddy, it has factory no A/C so that might have made it easier. to remove and install it took all of 30mins!

so after i was done with that i fixed my heater controls, the cable that goes to the heater valve was sticking.
then i took out the speedo cluster and changed the lighting to blue LEDs with orange needles... i love that look.
all in all a very productive day.
What is it about heater controls today, I finally fingered that the cable was too long to move the heater slide, so I cut it and repositioned it. It could be because that I changed it from the new style for the older style. :) and forgot to adjust the slider...?

I also repaired the timing cover, so it doesn't look like the alternator is crooked to the engine any more... And I have decided that the head gasket is gone on the blue cabby..... Damn.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

this is the second heater control that went/was bad. the 84 rabbit that i sold was getting almost unusable and the caddy never worked.
i used a manual choke cable to control the heater valve just untill i get all the parts i need to fix it right. the old cable was froze and the slider is broke, time to hit the yards!
And I have decided that the head gasket is gone on the blue cabby..... Damn
headgaskets are a piece of cake!!!!! :)
when i do the caddys it'll make the 5th-6th one i've done.... not all have been vw's tho.

Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Trust me I would go through a head gasket on my diesel every 6 months.... I decided that the replacement engine block was warped, as I was tired of taking the head to the shop to be checked, and every time it was fine.

Only with the Cabby, I have to take all the stuff off, and I hate the thought
of the manifold studs breaking.

So I may pull it with the Exhaust still connected like I used to do with my diesel.
Briano

1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

So I may pull it with the Exhaust still connected like I used to do with my diesel
LMFAO!
and i thought i was the only one who did that!!!!

Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
gull

Post by gull »

I did a diesel Vanagon, once, with a friend's help...the @$*&! engine mount had to come off before we could get the manifolds off that thing. With the engine mounted on a 50 degree angle I sure didn't want to deal with the extra weight and bulk of having them still attached! Wasn't a bad job otherwise, though. It was the first time I'd ever done a head gasket, and I was intimidated by the idea. Seeing how easy it really was was eye-opening.
gull

Post by gull »

gull wrote:I won't really know if it made a noticeable difference until the weather warms up a bit, though.
Did a little testing today, and it did indeed make a difference. The fan comes on much sooner and the coolant and oil temps stay lower.