Philly area mechanic?

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Tuneses
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Philly area mechanic?

Post by Tuneses »

Hi guys. I've been using a guy that was king of the VWs back in the day but now he has younger machanics and he's not involved as much i'm not very happy with the work they do on my car.

They told me that the 82 Conv Rabbit I bought has very bad electrical problems and I was looking to take my car into somewhere reliable to have it all checked out. My current mechanic said that he couldnt get the panel off cause someone welded it...after 2 minutes of looking my husband found the bolts holding it in place :roll:

Anyone know a good place around Philladelphia that i can trust my baby to? My husband is very good with cars but never worked with anything but American cars so he's not always sure with this german car ;) . I know what i want my car to look like is about it. Tee hee.

Thanks for any help.
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Sorry I can't help you find a good mechanic in your area.

If your husband is willing to try, the neat thing about VWs of this age is that they are a simple design and usually simple to fix.

Just what is the problem? Maybe we can help guide you (and your husband) through to fix it.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Tuneses

Post by Tuneses »

Forgive my newbness. From what i understand there is alot of electrical problems. I'm having alot of problems with my blinkers. Husband got 3 going but the front passanger is still not working. Inside the car the blub that tells you the flashers are on makes this awefull clicking noise when i'm driving. The ones my husband fixed do blink faster than normal.

I'm also having a problem with my stereo. It will just shut off completely while driving. The power just comes and goes. Seems to be more often when i'm on a bumpy road.

We just had it fix cause it died completly on me. The machanic said something about tightning wire that lead to the fuel pump. So it's running fine now. I just don't know what other surprises are in store.

Thanks!
thingmon

Post by thingmon »

They are tricky cars to have for daily drivers... If you're interested, try http://www.the152.com and put out an APB for Fry (Chris). He's in Philly and may be able to help you out. In the mean time pick up a Bentley manual for the car. If your guy can fix American cars, he can fix these.

Auto electrical problems are a PITA no matter who the manufacturer is.

Good luck.
Tuneses

Post by Tuneses »

Hehe yeah we have the manual. He's been good at figuring things out, when he's not fixing his own car :x . We are newly weds and stuff so for now if I want to keep it I have to use it as a daily driver and my commute is 1 hour each way. uggg. I love it so much though. I'm hoping to save my pennies and get a new bug for every day stuff.

But thanks :)