Help on Full Suspension Upgrade

Post suspension issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

NordTexan
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Help on Full Suspension Upgrade

Post by NordTexan »

I read several threads that had some good info on springs for upgrading handling and lowering Cabbies, but I am still having a bit of a conflict with the direction that I ultimately will take.

I like the thought of the Weitec coil-over, but I am wondering if there will be issues with wheels/offsets. It seems that each coil-over has the disclaimer about off-sets.

Additionally, when I look at sport springs, esp. from Eibach and Intrax, there is not an application for the Cabriolet. There is on their "lesser" street lines. Is it because the don't believe Cab drivers to be hard-core enough? If it says Rabbit, I assume the application would fit, but is the extra weight of the Cabriolet too much for the usage?

I would like to hear success stories from fellow performance minded drivers to this topic.

For background, I am trying to build an autocross/track car that for fun will drive on the street to strike fear into the hearts of my neighbors. I probably won't care if it is rough, but I don't want to have to keep a mouthguard to prevent teeth from breaking. :twisted:
Trying to get back into a bunny.
http://www.cardomain.com/my/garage
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991

Post by sixsracing »

I highly recommend the SRS springs. The guys at SRS race the stuff they sell and can custom make springs if you wish. I put springs right off the shelf on my car and I think they are fantastic. Lowering the car is a compromise but that's personal opinion. Coil-overs are cool but pricey. Are you going to drive this car on the street also? If so, what are the roads like where you are? Tires and rims are also going to make a huge difference in the way the car turns. Give us some more information and you'll get better responses.

Most springs for Rabbits will fit Cabriolets. When I was looking for my springs I called or e-mailed the manufacturer for confirmation of interchangability.
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
NordTexan

Post by NordTexan »

Here is the full story:
I have an '88 that had a half-ass conversion to 88 Scirocco 16v, complete with suspension & brakes.

I have rebuilt the motor, bored, cam'ed, 3 angle valve, down-pipe & exhaust, lightened all over internally & out.

Suspension is the last area that I haven't sorted. I have heard negative commentary on polyurethene bushing components. I have read that coil-overs cause fitment problems. I have been told by some schmuck at Eibach that the weight differential of the Cab will impact the performance of the Rabbit application springs. I don't know that I believe him, but that is what I hope to get from my TR cohorts.

I believe that the rims on my car are 16 in w/ 50 series tires. I'll have to confirm tonight. The roads here are pretty good and since it isn't going to be my daily driver, I don't mind if it is pretty rough riding for an occasional daily run. Got to burn the oil out of the combustion chamber! :wink:

Like I said, I want to hear success stories or failures and why they worked out that way. I would prefer to not have to buy 4 different systems to find the one that I like. I will follow up and let people know what I decided and what my opinion is in the end.

Thanks,
Jack
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

First off, if your running 16x50 and want to lower it, you have a few choises. Either drop the sidewall to a 45 or 40, drop to a 15" rim/tire or roll the fenders - which if you have the clipper kit, means pulling off the fender flares, having the fenders rolled and then trying to fit the flares back on some how.

If you don't plan to autocross the car, then I would leave the coil-overs in the "some day that would be nice" catagory. If you want a nice stance, but still a good ride, go with H&R or Neuspeed sport/race springs and a Bilstien/KYB/Koni shock/strut combo. When you go to order them, since you have the 16v conversion, get the set thats ment for the 16v scirocco. It's all the same cept the springs are more designed for the weight of the 16v engine. Thats the only difference between cabby springs and 16v rocco springs anyway.

As for poly suspension mounts, thats a personal preference on just how much you want to feel the road. With the spring/shock combo's I mentioned, you can prollie get away with poly bushings, just don't ever use poly engine mounts (brain ratteling vibrations WILL insue)

I currently have H&R soft sport springs and boge strut/shocks on my 16v rocco and I love it. I feel the road, but not ever pepple and thats just how I like it.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
NordTexan

Post by NordTexan »

Good information Calimus. I thought about the weight issue, but didn't really relate it upwards to the Scirocco.(Kept thinking about downward w/Rabbit vs. Cabriolet) Obviously that makes sense, but I didn't know if there were any mounting/size issues that I would be faced with on moving up.

I have bought the HD motor mounts for the diesel's of that day. I heard from SCCA guys that this is the way to go for vibration control.

Look forward to more suggestions.

Thanks,
Jack
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

NordTexan wrote:Good information Calimus. I thought about the weight issue, but didn't really relate it upwards to the Scirocco.(Kept thinking about downward w/Rabbit vs. Cabriolet) Obviously that makes sense, but I didn't know if there were any mounting/size issues that I would be faced with on moving up.

I have bought the HD motor mounts for the diesel's of that day. I heard from SCCA guys that this is the way to go for vibration control.

Look forward to more suggestions.

Thanks,
Jack
When you replace the engine mounts you want to sacrifice a 4mm or 4.5 mm socket under then prior to reinstalling, if you alread have them installed you can loose the fornt and rear and drop the front out wil an engine lift, engine brace or a jack and a 2X6...This will keep some of the strain off the mount, and insure long life. The mount will still break but you won't have the engine drop that can cause added vibration, or shifter binding.

Just a friendly tip after I replace my second set in my diesel bunny. I thought that there had to be someting to extend the life of the mount. as it is under the bottom, when the mount is in place it won't vibrate out at all.....
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
jenkinskg
What year is your cabby?: 1988

Re: Help on Full Suspension Upgrade

Post by jenkinskg »

here is the coilovers I bought for my 87-88 cabriolet

cheap and worked well, needed to use a round file on a few holes, very little bit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271520838516?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

I messaged them before order and they confirmed will work on my car, and did well
Tire hit coil over nuts on front, until nut was tightened enough,then clearance and height was just fine