Post suspension issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

PDX Cabby
The Living Bentley Manual
What year is your cabby?: 1985
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Cabbystrophic Steering Rack failure...

Post by PDX Cabby »

anyone have much steering rack experience?

took my car in for an alignment the other week. The guy running the alignment rack flagged me down and recognized immediately that i do all the work on my car. He took me down into the pit and showed me what he saw wrong.

The big deal is that (through the split steering rack boot) that my steering rack has A LOT of play. Before i go and spent $97 on a new rack, is this something i can take care of with the steering rack adjustment screw? Or do i need to find a garage to drop my motor and replace my rack??
85 Cab - 1.9L 8v, g-grind, euro dual downs to TT race w/ Borla, VWMS fuel dizzy, 2H tranny with 5th gear swap, TT short shift, FK 60/40, 15" BBS RA, rear disks... begging for boost...
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

What kind of play? I've never seen a rack with play to be honest. Well, not unless the seals were shot. The only other place I can think of there being play might be in the initial gear itself, but I'd think that is pretty rare since there is basicly no stress on it thanks to the invention of presurized fluids.

Even still, if there is an adjustment screw, it should help take care of that so long as the play is in the main steering gear and not in one of the arms. If it's an arm, all I can think that would cause it is a bad seal, but then you should have a fluid leak as well. Let me know whats up.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
PDX Cabby

Post by PDX Cabby »

should have mentioned its a manual rack

but, yeah was odd. We were both under the car and the guy reaches through the steering rack boot, and wiggles the steering rack around from within the rack housing. From what i could see the rack bushings didn't move at all. Wish i could have seen if the steering wheel was moving...
85 Cab - 1.9L 8v, g-grind, euro dual downs to TT race w/ Borla, VWMS fuel dizzy, 2H tranny with 5th gear swap, TT short shift, FK 60/40, 15" BBS RA, rear disks... begging for boost...
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Sounds like the worm gear is about shot. You can try adjusting it with the adjustment screw, that may be all you need, or it may not. If not, it's rack swap time unfortunatly. Unless there is a way to swap ou the gearbox wihtout pulling the engine or rack. I really don't know since all I have are PS cars. Cept for the toyota and there is enough room around the steering gearbox to add another engine. :P
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991

Post by sixsracing »

The adjustment screw will only take the play out of the "tower". If the play is at the ends where the inner tie rods connect you need to rebuild or replace the rack. The rack can be replaced without removing the motor, take a careful look around and it will become clear. You just looked at it quick and panicked. From what I have read from you and about you this job is well within your level.
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
PDX Cabby

Post by PDX Cabby »

yeah
i gave it a bit of thought and realize i could easily slide things back and forth...
if i can pull drive shafts without pulling ball joints, i don't need to drop the motor for a rack...

parts store near by has racks for $97. i've got a pair of poly bushings somewhere. so, now i just need a damn garage... ug... and i have to manage to talk myself out of going crazy on new tierods too :D
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991

Post by sixsracing »

My garage is always open, it may take awhile to get here though.
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom