springs

Post suspension issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

1lowcab
DropTop Pimp
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

springs

Post by 1lowcab »

so, now that i'm jobless and i still want to lower my diesel, whats the proper way to cut the springs...... flame suit on. :P
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991

Post by sixsracing »

I hate to see a post go un-answered. I have never cut a spring myself, but I can't imagine that cutting an inch off at a time and seeing how it sits would get you into too much trouble. It means a lot more work, but it leesens the risk. What are you going to cut the spring with? I kinda like my 3" disc cutter for stuff like that.
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

i was thinking about my sawzall with a metal blade, should cut through it.
i really don't want to lower it much. all i want is the front down a little. it has that stupid mk1 nose up stance. i was just wanting to know how much to cut for x amount of inches.

Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
SoCal_Cabby
Postus-Whorus-Maximus
What year is your cabby?: 0

Post by SoCal_Cabby »

1lowcab wrote:i was thinking about my sawzall with a metal blade, should cut through it.
i really don't want to lower it much. all i want is the front down a little. it has that stupid mk1 nose up stance. i was just wanting to know how much to cut for x amount of inches.

not that i am approving of this but....

do not use a sawzall, use a die grinder....and only cut one coil at a time... and only cut the spring from the side that has the same diameter (you know how some springs are smaller on one end? cut the other side)...if you want a certain height then go half a coil at a time...by coil i mean one full circle (rotation/circumference)...it is best to have the end of the cut spring in the same position as it was before you cut it...to get the desired height i suggest cutting it then reinstall and drive on it for a couple days, and if it hasn't settled to your desired height the cut it again. and keep doing so untill you have reached ou desired height....keep in mind the more you cut off the more it will settle.

i have spoken...lol
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

i have spoken...

LMFAO!!

thanks for the info socal. like i said, i just want to drop the front maybe 1.5" i know it's a ghetto way to do it but you do strange things when your broke :P

Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991

Post by sixsracing »

I heard that.
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
cabriaulait

Post by cabriaulait »

just a quick warning, i had a freind witha mk1 who did cut the springs .he spoke to about it said that the springs are designed for a certain load and if theyre shortened they basically get weaker, most lowering springs are slightly thicker to compensate.
if your on a budget you could end up having to replace the lot which is really a false economy.
sorry and all that...
87 cabriolet quartett edt work in progress
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

cabriaulait wrote:just a quick warning, i had a freind witha mk1 who did cut the springs .he spoke to about it said that the springs are designed for a certain load and if theyre shortened they basically get weaker, most lowering springs are slightly thicker to compensate.
if your on a budget you could end up having to replace the lot which is really a false economy.
sorry and all that...

Its not that the spring is weaker it has to carry the same load with less spring which makes it more prone to premature failure...
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy: