Strut selection - gas or fluid?

Post suspension issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Thicketmatt
What year is your cabby?: 1993
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Strut selection - gas or fluid?

Post by Thicketmatt »

I have a '93 cabby with about 40k miles and need to replace the front strut bushings. I presume the struts are gone too and going to replace them while I'm at it. I want to stay stock but saw the boge gas struts were slightly less expensive than the Oem fluid ones. I'm more interested in ride comfort over performance. Which would you recommend? Thanks
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Strut selection - gas or fluid?

Post by Briano1234 »

Thicketmatt wrote:I have a '93 cabby with about 40k miles and need to replace the front strut bushings. I presume the struts are gone too and going to replace them while I'm at it. I want to stay stock but saw the boge gas struts were slightly less expensive than the Oem fluid ones. I'm more interested in ride comfort over performance. Which would you recommend? Thanks
Gas will last.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Thicketmatt
What year is your cabby?: 1993
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by Thicketmatt »

Thanks. I need to buy a spring compressor. Harbor freight has an inexpensive one, but I don't want to get killed because of a cheap tool. Any experience with their compressor?
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Thicketmatt wrote:Thanks. I need to buy a spring compressor. Harbor freight has an inexpensive one, but I don't want to get killed because of a cheap tool. Any experience with their compressor?
See my how to. Those are Harbor Freight compressors.
If you want to save your alignment, then you can remove the cv axle, (which requires large socket and wrench) then off the ball joint. Take the thing out as a whole assembly.

The thing you have to remember is that you take the nuts up equally, that is 5 turns left side, 5 turns right. Once the tension is off the nut and the washer spins the springs re compressed enough.

If you are replacing the mounts and have access to a welder, then take the mounts bolts on the bottom. I had one that fell out when I was taking off my strut brace, and I didn't relish replacing the new part. So I now tack weld the nuts whenever I am replacing the mounts.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy: