Which springs o go for?

Post suspension issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Jamesbvang007

Which springs o go for?

Post by Jamesbvang007 »

I've been told that eibach springs will lower my cabby about 1.8 front and 1.7 rear? Does anybody have those on now? I like neuspeed, but they only drop me about 1.25 feet, which is hardly noticable. Anybody got ideas on what I should get? I want my car to be low. Where can i get a good deal? Anyone know how to install springs?
PDX Cabby
The Living Bentley Manual
What year is your cabby?: 1985
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by PDX Cabby »

well...
so many questions, but missing a lot of details to help sufficiantly... really need to know what type of driving you do, what the road conditions are like... are you going for looks or going for performance?

IMHO, much more than 1.5" is too much... suspension telemetry changes way too much and you start getting negative reactions.

anyways
http://www.geocities.com/jonnyguru/vw/struts.html
85 Cab - 1.9L 8v, g-grind, euro dual downs to TT race w/ Borla, VWMS fuel dizzy, 2H tranny with 5th gear swap, TT short shift, FK 60/40, 15" BBS RA, rear disks... begging for boost...
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

What you said PDX. One of the biggest problems is as you pass the 1.5" drop mark, your tierods start poiting upwards where the connect to the wheel hubs. This isn't good as it puts mucho undo stress on them and allows them to bend more easily when encountering rough road conditions.

This also translates to it being a lot easier to knock out your alignment. If you want a decent lowering for looks, have some remainder of comfort and get a nice performace factor out of the mod, get a set of the H&R sport springs and match with a nice mild schock/strut combo.

The ultimate setup would be coil-overs so that you can adjust pretty much everything whenever the mood suits you, but thats some major $$ as I haven't seen a coil-over kit yet for less then $1100.00.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
PDX Cabby

Post by PDX Cabby »

aaahhh
you need to check out Weitec...
averages about $850 for coilovers
very nice setup...
not too soft
not too hard
a very nice coilover fully made in Germany
85 Cab - 1.9L 8v, g-grind, euro dual downs to TT race w/ Borla, VWMS fuel dizzy, 2H tranny with 5th gear swap, TT short shift, FK 60/40, 15" BBS RA, rear disks... begging for boost...
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

yeah, trust me you don't want to go too low! looks badass, rides like crap.
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

1lowcab wrote:yeah, trust me you don't want to go too low! looks badass, rides like crap.
:mrgreen: :lol: :P :banghead:
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991

Post by sixsracing »

The little guy beating his head against the wall is awesome, just the thing for a Monday morning. Since the question is out there, are there any springs on the market that increase stiffness without lowering at all. Maine has some pretty rough roads and dragging parts is not something I need to be doing on four wheels. Snow removal with my front bumper is also a concern. Neuspeed has some that only drop 1/4 of an inch, that's not bad but if I can retain stock height, all the better. I'm going to go with KYB shocks/struts because I have always had good experiences with them, anybody have negative feedback on this? Thanks.
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
85Wolfy

Post by 85Wolfy »

I 2nd the H&R Sports. Have driven them on VW, Audi, BMW...my favorite upgrade for any car. Very "drivable" and great handling. Have yet to install them on my Cabby...will they get rid of the jacked up front end look?
'85 Wolfsburg Cabby Burgandy and tan inside and out
PDX Cabby

Post by PDX Cabby »

only way of doing that is by doing a split drop. Right now my cabby is lowered 60mm front and 40mm rear
this rake is starting to get a bit much for me, and i'll eventually lower the rears down to about 50mm (rear of many kits are hight adjustable)

Post by Guest »

PDX turned me on to SRS Racing springs, really nice springs. No drop, sits very aggressively and made my cabby the best handling front wheel drive car I have driven. The 195/50/15 sticky tires help too. :-)
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991

Post by sixsracing »

The above submission is mine. One of these days I will remember to log in.
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom