Post suspension issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

kieferwabbit
What year is your cabby?: 1980
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Tire choices

Post by kieferwabbit »

Hi guys,

My 1980 still has the stock 13" wheels, and for rolling resistance/economy, I'd like to keep things small (though I do want to do the wider 175 section instead of the 155).

However, I have not been able to find inexpensive 13" tires from a major manufacturer. Does anyone make them anymore, or am I just going to have to accept that since it's not a common size, so the big guys are going to ignore the market?

Am I better off trying to find some 14" 4x100 steelies cast off of someone's Civic, or do inexpensive 13" tires exist?
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Re: Tire choices

Post by CalAltaDubber »

It appears that the tire companies are getting out of the small tire market. Not that I am looking right now, but last year, I had a set of snowflakes I wanted to use on the '88 (Posh Bunny) and was dismayed to find out that none of the mfrs. made a decent 14" tire to fit.

In the end I found a set of 15" BBS RA wheels and was able to get a set of tires for them.

These cars came generally with 13" or 14" wheels, so if you tour your local wrecking yard, you might find a good set of 14" VW wheels.

I believe tha "Ma and Pa" quality tires are still available in those sizes, but virtually nothing with performance in mind.

the bolt pattern is 4X100. but the centre hole does vary in size. VW rims do fit a Toyota, but I'm not sure if the reverse is true.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Gee in the Oldie days as in 1999, I bought my last set of 175 sr 13's for my diesel rabbit from Firestone, and I usually only paid 25 dollars a tire mounted....
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Hoppy
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by Hoppy »

John

1950 Beetle
1955 Beetle
1982 Westy
1986 Cabriolet (Best Seller)