steering rack probs

Post suspension issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

ped

steering rack probs

Post by ped »

hi there just new to this just got myself an 89 golf gti convertable and cant figuire out why my steering wheel sits off centre when i take a left hand bend but straightens up when i take a right hand bend an vice versa. i have had the car up on aramp and checked ball joints,trackrods changed steering rack bushes top strut mounts, the steering feels fine and is responsive there arn't any clunks when moving the steering wheel when the car is moving or staionary any info would much appreciated thanks. forgot to say it's not a power steering rack
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: steering rack probs

Post by Briano1234 »

Sounds as if you either have a loose nut behind the steering wheel, or stripped splines.............
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
tolusina
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by tolusina »

Um, centre, bends, trackrods. The steering wheel is on the right hand side of this car, isn't it? ;)

Left hand drive, U.S. spec cars occasionally break off the mount for the left side rack mount for the strap bracket thingy which allows the rack to slide side to side.
Have a helper sit in the car and steer lock to lock while you watch the rack for movement. The tie rods should (obviously) move, the rack itself should not.
SoCal_Cabby
Postus-Whorus-Maximus
What year is your cabby?: 0

Post by SoCal_Cabby »

i'll bet you 5 dollars your rack is loose
ped

Post by ped »

thanks for the replies troops !! the steering wheel and the nut that holds it on are tight.the splines are spot on steering rack mounts are solid i tightend them myself. what do i do if its the bracket thingy thats moveing? how do i fix it? what nut behind the steering wheel do you mean?
kuklaki
Admin Type Person
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by kuklaki »

Briano1234 wrote:Sounds as if you have a loose nut behind the steering wheel.
Brian, insulting other members will not be tolerated :P :P :P
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)