brake bleeding valve

Post suspension issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Caddycabby
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

brake bleeding valve

Post by Caddycabby »

I did the rear shoes on my rabbit today and while I took the shoes of the cylinder burst open and I lost a lot of fluid. I put everything back together and found that I had zero brakes.I need more fluid. I assume I should bleed my braked now because a ton of air must have got in. The problem is the bleeder valve broke off on the left rear and the rest of the valves probably will to. Can I make it work somehow or am I screwed?
No chowder for you, cause clams have feelings too.
tolusina

Post by tolusina »

Sounds like it's time for new wheel cylinders.

Soak the front bleeders with your favorite penetrating oil, try and be patient, wait a day or two if you can.

Have a brass hammer handy, put your BOX END (not open end) wrench on the bleeder, while applying force on the screw, smack the opening of the screw with the brass hammer. Slight mushrooming of the bleeder end won't bother anything.

Suggest you wrap all bleeder screw threads with Teflon tape, take care not to block the bleed ports. The Teflon does two good tings, prevents future seize up, also keeps air out from around the threads while bleeding, especially useful for single person bleeding.

Keep in mind these cars have dual diagonal hydraulic circuits. My preferred bleed sequence is front to opposite rear, then back to the same front, repeat on the other diagonal.

Use a foot or so of clear vinyl hose over the bleeder into a clear plastic soda bottle, pump through until the fluid runs clear.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

I have come across this product, I used it on my Exhaust studs and I only had one fail to come off as it was rounded and I couldn't get on it... I ground it out :)

CRC- Freeze Off

http://www.crcindustries.com/marine/con ... =05002&S=Y

Worked pretty damn good, I shot it smacked the part shot it again, and then
waited 30 minutes.
Last edited by Briano1234 on Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Caddycabby

Post by Caddycabby »

Sweet thanks, I figured out a temporary fix though. I pushed one piston out of the cylinder just far enough that it doesn't seal. Then I pushed the brake pedal until I saw some fluid squirt out. I shoved the piston back in and voila!! the brake light went of and I gained ecough pressure to get me mobile. and by the way this forum is Awesome and I don't know what I'd do with out you vw know-it-alls.
No chowder for you, cause clams have feelings too.
tolusina

Post by tolusina »

A very interesting find!! It's on my shopping list.
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Very interesting. Maybe it won't have the "special effects" that PB-Blaster has on us after heavy usage. While being high as a kite on fumes makes for more fun while toiling away on the cars, it can lead to screw ups. But I wouldn't know anything about that :P
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C