Post suspension issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

wierd noise

Post by Briano1234 »

Got a weird noise on the passenger side of the car, sounds like a shuuuuuush. It is when ever the car is in gear, and under power, it almosts sounds like rushing air....it isn't a grumble or a squeak. When I sat in the passengers side, it sounded like tire noise.

I was leaning towards the wheel bearing, but dont know. It isn't the brakes, and there are no centering rings ont eh rims, and I was thinking that it may be a tire that is out of orbit.

Don't know, never had a wheel bearing go on my first rabbit or my last cabby.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
tolusina
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: wierd noise

Post by tolusina »

Briano1234 wrote:Got a weird noise on the passenger side of the car, sounds like a shuuuuuush. It is when ever the car is in gear, and under power, it almosts sounds like rushing air....it isn't a grumble or a squeak. When I sat in the passengers side, it sounded like tire noise.

I was leaning towards the wheel bearing, but dont know. It isn't the brakes, and there are no centering rings ont eh rims, and I was thinking that it may be a tire that is out of orbit.

Don't know, never had a wheel bearing go on my first rabbit or my last cabby.
Maybe a backing plate scraping a rotor?

Find a quiet road, 30 or more mph, swerve the car gently side to side listening for a change in the sound, a bearing starting to go often gets louder with side loads. Front bearings can be deceptive as to which side is going out. As you swerve left, for example, you'd expect the right side loads to increase, indeed they do. So does the left side inner. I got fooled this way a few times, took to running the car in gear, both wheels jacked, holding one from turning, listening, sometimes with a stethescope, to the other side.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

found the noise,,, the PO let the brake line grommet and brake hose out of the carrier and the hose was chaffing on the tire.

That is the least of my problems as the passengers tie rod won't come out.....I bent my pickle fork, the pitman arm puller broke the bolt....

went to get my torch, and the tip won't asperate the gas.......aRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH. the driver side was a pain in the ass too but it finally popped off, as I was looking for my torch...

ever have one of those days.....
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Well gotta love mister torch.... got that sucker hot, then used both pickle forks and it popped out with a whimper.

crocus'ed the inner rod face and applied a thin coat or never sieze.

Got it all together, and measured the tires and they were 55 5/8 front and rear, took it to a 1/16 different back to front.

Now I can get it aligned next week I hope I have time.
Briano