Top Struts ??

Post body issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

JD
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Top Struts ??

Post by JD »

Has anyone had to cross reference their convertible top struts? My right side strut [part #155 871 997] is terribly bent. My search for a replacement hasn't been too sucessful.
JD

1980 Rabbit Convertable

http://www.myspace.com/jdmurphy7
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

I've never had to play with the top frame at all. It is actually quite robust. So first I have to ask how did the strut get bent?

Usually top problems are with the vinal/canvass. one of the fixes I have seen used is to replace the top (frame and all) with one from a wrecker. That being the case, all you would need to do is locate a frame that is being discarded. this way you can either replace the damaged strut or the whole thing. Since the tops for MK I Cabriolets are the same from 79 through 92 it is still quite easy to get one.

I am not sure where you are, but here is a link to a wrecker in Calgary, Alberta that specializes in VWs. You can probably get what you need through them.

http://www.4nparts.com/index2.htm

Let us know how you make out.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

I found out that on my top, I had 2 bent struts, I have since replaced them with donors from wrecked cars, but the fact is that you have to make sure that the main carriage isn't bent preventing the strut from going up and down correctly. Also if your top is out of alighment a bit, if you raise your top by one side or the other then you can over torque the mechanism, causing a bind as it goes up which will bend your struts.

You also need to oil or lubricate your pivot points on your top.

The best way to bring your top up is to flip the locks then from the rear of the cabby raise the top by the center.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
SoCal_Cabby
Postus-Whorus-Maximus
What year is your cabby?: 0

Post by SoCal_Cabby »

i dont even think mine had struts
JD

Post by JD »

The right strut could have been bent during a zombie attack back in 92 or 93, my memory of those years aren't clear due to an alien abduction and subseuquent tracking implant.

Basically, I just needed to know if anyone had ever guaged the poundage & etc. then matched it to more readily avalible strut? If so, the manufacturer and part number?
JD

1980 Rabbit Convertable

http://www.myspace.com/jdmurphy7