Patching the top

Post body issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

jgold723
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Patching the top

Post by jgold723 »

I've got an 87 Cabby. There are two small tears in the top (about the size of a nickle) and the seams in the back are starting to rip (about 2", right where the roof begins to bend down towards the rear window.

Someday, when I have a garage and some time, I'll replace the top. But until then, I'm wondering how best to temporarily patch the damage so I can keep driving her. Any suggestions? I've tried automotive goop (no luck) and duct tape.

Thanks,

John
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Patching the top

Post by Briano1234 »

Your top is Dead. Patching is just a placebo.

Okay with that said.

Method 1.

You will need some patching material that is vinyl the came color as your top.

Cut the patch's so there is a one inch over lap all sides of the material to the rip.

Make sure that all the corners are rounded.

Prep the area to be repaired, that is using brake-Kleen on a rag, clean the area to be repaired to 1 inch over lap front and back side.

Apply Amazing goop to the back side and let dry. Apply Amazing goop to one of the patches vinyl side allow to dry.

Now stick the patch on the back side and apply pressure for about 30 seconds.

Do the same for the outside of the vinyl but apply the glue on the patch to the back side of the material.

Method 2.

2 people required

Items needed:
Steam Iron,
2 Towels
piece of board
Iron-On Patches.

Get the iron hot, no steam.

Again clean the area to be repaired Back side.

Double the Towel and place over board, and hold against the area to be repaired.

Tape the iron patch to the area (cut it larger than the area to be repaired, and round the corners) with duct tape from the bottom.

Apply towel over patch 1 layer, and Iron the patch on to the vinyl. Allow to fully cool.

You can them Iron another patch on the outside, or fill the void with silicone to match
(clear is good too.)

Method 3. Use a vinyl pool patch kit and glue, follow the steps outlined in method 1.

Method 4 (permanent fix).

Replace the top, use a buddy's garage and give him a few cases of beer to assist you.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by gull »

If you go the patch route, you'll get pretty good at it, 'cause you'll be redoing it every few weeks. ;)
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
jgold723
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by jgold723 »

Thanks for the replies -- and the encouragement ;)

I don't hold any illusions this is an easy permanent fix. But hopefully it'll buy me a little time until I can do it right.

John