A good place in Los Angeles that replaces tops?

Post body issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

skittishsynapses
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

A good place in Los Angeles that replaces tops?

Post by skittishsynapses »

hi ho everyone.

So the more I look into replacing the top on my 87 cabby, the more I'm intimidating at messing this up. I've seen the following links:

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php ... ic&t=12313
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1912
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=916909
http://www.cabby-info.com/topinstall.htm

And while they are quite helpful, the various means of changing the top out are confusing. Honestly have no idea which is easiest. I have the rear and side tension cables already. I was going to buy the top this week. My top was already in poor condition became worse when I put my top down to haul a cabinet in the back seat. When I put the top up again, there was a giant tear above my back window. Sigh. like there wasnt already a hole in the left corner from the previous owner. Anyway. that and with the el nino I hear is coming this year, I'm in a bind to get this done soon.

of all the methods above, which is recommended? Or would anyone know of a shop in the LA area that offers a good price on top replacement? Hell, if anyone has experience at changing tops out in the LA area I'd be willing to work with and pay whatever I can.

If anyone can clarify the top replacement process, that also would be nice! I'm just afraid I'll wreck my car in the process, and since I don't have a garage, nor private parking, Ill have nowhere to put my car if anything should go wrong. help please?
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: A good place in Los Angeles that replaces tops?

Post by Briano1234 »

Well I don't know any places in LA but I always prefer instructions with pictures.

Try right here in the TRF.....

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1912

I have been told they are pretty good, but have no personal knowledge.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Briano1234 wrote: I have been told they are pretty good, but have no personal knowledge.
Brian, you are waaaaaaaay too modest.

Brian's instructions do appear to be the most user oriented and do have a lot of good pictures to boot.

One of the folks around here used them and was happy with the result.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Replacing a TOP isn't a hard job, one a scale of 1-10 it is but a 5-7.

The problem is that some folks aren't mechanically inclined or don't like detail work.

There are steps and a logical order that you have to follow when replacing a top. In the how too I explain and tell you what you have to look out for.

One replacing a top to eliminate leaks isn't the best solution. Getting your door, glass, and seals positioned correctly.
Making sure that your top pivots correctly, and is level across the "a" pillar.
Making sure that your Read window frame is parallel to the cable tray.....

It is a puzzle that you carefully deconstruct, then reconstruct.

My how two steps you through all the buggers and stumbling points that I have found when replacing tops for folks, and or myself.

With time and patience you can replace your top to factory specs, it takes on average a whole weekend the first time that you do it.

Additional tops cut that time down, so I can usually get one done in 6 hours.

The usual charge for a install (labor alone) is between 500-1000 bucks and that depends on if you are doing all 3 layers or just the outer shell. That is why the majority of us (Save for William) do it ourselves.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Well in my defense, I have never used my how-to guide so factually, I don't know how good it is or it ain't.
Briano

gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by gull »

It's really not that bad. It's a long job, but each individual step is not hard -- there are just a lot of them. I did mine in a weekend in the parking lot of my apartment complex. Well, actually, I left the rear window out until the following weekend -- ran out of time. But I was doing the top and headliner both, because someone cut through to break into the car.

Did I do a perfect job? No. But it doesn't leak, and it looks better than the tops on a lot of other Cabbies I see. I got a nice sense of accomplishment out of it.

Tip: Take pictures of everything as you take the old top off. That way when you're putting the new one together, and you're thinking, "where did that strap go?" or "is this screwed or riveted?" you can just look at the pictures.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force