New member with top question

Post body issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Spykce
What year is your cabby?: 1986
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

New member with top question

Post by Spykce »

First off I just want to say hi to everyone. I have been reading posts for a while now and finally joined. There is a lot of great info here!

As for my cabby, it's no looker right now but it is solid and I'm coming along on it. I have been playing with cabby's for about 4 years now since I met my girlfriend and she had one. She now has has one I rebuilt for her and painted pink, since she had to sell hers to help pay for college.

Here's a few pictures:

Mine:

Girlfriend's Current Cabby:

Her old one

Her white one is what got me interested in VW's, before I had old Datsun Z cars, which I still love. However I recently bought my cabby and finally got a radio in it, and the leaks resolved and now I am looking into a top. For my girlfriends I had a shop do it. While it doesn't leak, I'm not happy with the fitment of the headliner in particular. I am considering doing this one myself, and have read Briano's(?) post several times. I have simply never done anything that involved upholstery wise. Opinions? Also color choice, the car is doing to be green, scirocco green to be exact. I'm thinking black top but I have been considering white.

Thanks for reading! Enjoy the pics I hope!
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Re: New member with top question

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Hi and welcome to TRF.

Thise are some nice cars. I do like your Girl friend's pink one. It shows very nicely.

Your car looks good to me too. I assume you have been looking at my thread about my project car.

I think a white top would look great on a dark coloured car (your green or my blue), but keeping a white vinal top clean is a next to impossable task.

Maybe Brian has a secret "how to" keep it clean.

In the end it is your choice.

In my case, I plan to go with a black one right now.

Mind you if you find a white boot (top cover), would be a good choice.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

A product called "totally awesome" at family dollar stores 1 buck for a pint.

A fine sponge and clean rags.

If you wait about a month the new itteration of the how to will be finished and all the good stuff will be filled in.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Spykce

Post by Spykce »

Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking I'll do black when I get to it. I've been reading a lot of how to's on the top replacement to try and get as much info as I can about it. None of the local shops really sound confident about doing a proper job, which is unfortunate.
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by gull »

I didn't really have any upholstery experience either, but my top came out fine. It's not perfect, but it's better than most of the ones I've seen on the road!
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom

Post by kamzcab86 »

I vote for a black top on yours. :thumbup:

I recall seeing that pink Cab for sale somewhere, AutoTrader?, Craigslist? It was for sale for quite some time; good to see it finally found a home. And, it's good to see another chick who likes working on her VWs! :mrgreen:
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by gull »

There's a black aftermarket headliner, too. I put one in mine and I really like the look of it. Not sure if they still make them or not; mine was a new-old-stock one I grabbed from eBay.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force