Water in Trunk Lid

Post body issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

ibennett
What year is your cabby?: 1988

Water in Trunk Lid

Post by ibennett »

I was just wondering if anyone else has experinced this issue. We just had what was left of Tropical Storm Hannah run through here today. When I went outside to start packing up my car for a trip to Virginia and lifted the trunk lid I noticed a lot of water pour out of the lid. I've never noticed it before in a heavy rain but then again I've not paid as much attention to the car as I am now with all the restoration work I've had done. There was also a bead of water running on the inside of the car along either side of the back window on the ledge. HELP!
Volkswagons don't leak oil, they just mark their spot!

Ilene
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: Water in Trunk Lid

Post by CalAltaDubber »

A photo or two of where the leaks are would be a big help.

The part that bothers me is
There was also a bead of water running on the inside of the car along either side of the back window on the ledge.

This sounds like a top issue. but could also be the source of the water in the trunk lid.

When you get a chance, it might be an idea to take the car to one of those touchless car washes and look for the leak.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Trunk lid water can come from the lock seal, from the 3rd light and a bad or weak seal on the top of the door.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
ibennett

Post by ibennett »

Briano1234 wrote:Trunk lid water can come from the lock seal, from the 3rd light and a bad or weak seal on the top of the door.
You mean there is supposed to be a seal of some sort around the lock? I can see daylight around part of it when the lid is up. (Something for me to add to my list of little stuff)

You both gave me something to go on. Hubby said to take the car back to the man who put the top on for me and have him check that. The seal that goes around the deck lid concerns me as well.

Good news is , we got another hurricane coming this way in a week!

Ilene
ibennett

Post by ibennett »

Briano1234 wrote:Trunk lid water can come from the lock seal, from the 3rd light and a bad or weak seal on the top of the door.
You mean there is supposed to be a seal of some sort around the lock? I can see daylight around part of it when the lid is up. (Something for me to add to my list of little stuff)

You both gave me something to go on. Hubby said to take the car back to the man who put the top on for me and have him check that. The seal that goes around the deck lid concerns me as well.

Good news is , we got another hurricane coming this way in a week!

Ilene
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

The trunk seals can be found on EBAY from Moogie (aka Ben) at MK1 Autohaus....
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
ibennett

Post by ibennett »

Found part of the problem this morning. Had a hard rain here at my daughter's last night but not as bad as last week but just enough for it to get wet under the back window. As soon as I get back home to NC I'll have to take the car back to the guy who put my top on. All along the underside of the back window is wet. The window needs to be resealed or my husband will need to build me a garage. :mrgreen:

Ilene
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by gull »

I had to use some silicone sealer on mine to make it seal. That means next time I replace the top I'll have to destroy the seal to get the window out, though, so I'll have to budget for a new seal when the time comes.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

ibennett wrote:Found part of the problem this morning. Had a hard rain here at my daughter's last night but not as bad as last week but just enough for it to get wet under the back window. As soon as I get back home to NC I'll have to take the car back to the guy who put my top on. All along the underside of the back window is wet. The window needs to be resealed or my husband will need to build me a garage. :mrgreen:
If they didn't clean all the old plumbers putty out of the seal, then they set themselves up.

And running a thin bead of silicone may not of ruined the seal.
Briano