Adjusting the J-Hooks

Post body issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

cwingerter
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Adjusting the J-Hooks

Post by cwingerter »

Howdy.
I'm curious as to any known methodology when it comes to adjusting / tightening the J-hooks on the convertible top.
If anyone has any tips I'd appreciate it. My hooks seems to offer a little less resistance lately when locking the top to the windshield frame and I'm thinking a little tightening may help, but I'm not sure how to go about it correctly.

Thanks
--89 White Cabriolet--aka the White Shadow
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Adjusting the J-Hooks

Post by Briano1234 »

First, lower the rear windows 1/2 inch
Using a 10mm or a Crescent loosen the collar on the "J"hook
Spin the hook 1 full revolution in, to shorten tighten the collar again and try to latch, yes no better worse? repeat till you get it tight enough to do the job, but not tight enough to snap the handle...

Always roll the rear glass down an inch or so before closing the top. VW in their brilliance didn't mention that in the handibook because they ASSumed everyone would roll down their rear glass with the top down.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Re: Adjusting the J-Hooks

Post by kamzcab86 »

Briano1234 wrote:Always roll the rear glass down an inch or so before closing the top. VW in their brilliance didn't mention that in the handibook because they ASSumed everyone would roll down their rear glass with the top down.
I've never done this (if the rear windows are put down, they're rolled all the way back up before the top goes up) and have never had issues... :?