New roof won't go down...

Post body issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

triplewhite
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

New roof won't go down...

Post by triplewhite »

I put a new top on my car back in November, and since then it has been in storage having a new transmission installed.

This is going to sound pretty stupid, but after I put the top on, the weather turned, so I never tried to put it down. Today I tried to put it down, and it won't go... It gets stuck about 3/4 of the way down. I took some pictures of where it's getting stuck, but I can't work out what is causing it.

http://homepage.mac.com/rorydale/images/roof.jpg

I was careful putting it back together, and I think I did a pretty good job on the new top. Is there something I could have done drastically wrong?

It seems almost like the back window isn't getting out of the way, but also the hinges on the sides appear to not be able to pass each other to let it drop any further....

Help! It's HOT in Memphis!!!
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

On the rear window glass frame is a strut held in with a c-clip on each end it is usually those struts that bind.

with the top in a closed and latched you can remove them from the frame and that will allow the top to drop, usually it is one side or the other that causes that kind of thing.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
triplewhite

Post by triplewhite »

Genius, thanks! So I know I've asked this sort of question before, but why would it be doing it now and not before? Has the frame shifted during the top change?
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

triplewhite wrote:Genius, thanks! So I know I've asked this sort of question before, but why would it be doing it now and not before? Has the frame shifted during the top change?
No the struts go bad just because it is a pretty day, and you want to take the top down.

A good way to test is to remove them from the frame, then place them against the floor of a garage on a scrap of wood, then using a Phillips in the other hole push down. If it don't compress then it is bad, and if it compresses then doesn't shoot back out rapidly it is bad also.

If one don't compress fully as if one goes in further than the other then it is bad too.

The worst thing you can do is to try to force it either open or closed as that will kink the frame.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Kinky woman is fine, kinky roof tops, not fine :D
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
triplewhite

Post by triplewhite »

Briano1234 wrote:No the struts go bad just because it is a pretty day, and you want to take the top down.
Ok thanks I'll give these suggestions a go!!
triplewhite

Post by triplewhite »

Ok, it's not the struts. I removed them and it still won't go down.

In a process of elimination, the next thing I tried was taking out the headlining, it appeared to be getting really tightover on the cross piece before the back window. No good either.

Next I unscrewed the rubber bands from that same strut. That didn't really seem to be doing anything either...

It may have dropped about another inch or so, but that's all.

It seems like the back window is not tucking in at that last minute, but I can't manipulate it, it won't go.

I'm trying not to force it, but it's getting frustrating.

What should I try next?

I'm getting the sinking feeling that I'm going to have to take off the outer skin :cry:
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

It could be that the PO, replaced teh frame assembly off a earlier style Cabby, Those frames didn't go as low as the later style. You may just have a old frame.....
Briano

triplewhite

Post by triplewhite »

I'm not sure I follow you. I replaced the top, pad and headliner myself back in November, but never got around to trying to put the roof down. It sounds ridiculous to say that, but the weather turned, and I thought it better to leave the roof up for the glue to dry. Shortly after my tranny died so it went into storage. It's now back on the road and when I tried to put the top down it was a no go, so the frame and everything else is all original and untouched...
triplewhite

Post by triplewhite »

It's definitely the original frame, and if you look at the photos I linked to in my original post, you'll see even if it were an old style frame it wouldn't really be considered "convertible" based on how far the roof does, or in this case doesn't go down. :roll:

Still tomorrow is another day, and I'll try some more... :(
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Drill that rivet out... and see if that fixes it.
Briano

triplewhite

Post by triplewhite »

Ok, will do! Thanks.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Thinking about that... that is why I use wire ties to test everything then I will fasten with a rivet after everything checks okay
Briano

triplewhite

Post by triplewhite »

Ok cool thanks. That rivet isn't something I replaced though... I'll get to the bottom of this!!
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by gull »

Maybe the straps for the rear window frame are installed incorrectly? They're supposed to let the top of the rear window drop forward as you open the top.

I have a lot of pictures I look while taking mine apart, so I could get it rigged properly when I put it back together. If you think it'd help I can post them somewhere for you.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force