Cabby front end

Post body issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

ravenfox
What year is your cabby?: 0

Cabby front end

Post by ravenfox »

I just purchased my cabby, a '92 with 98k on it. But it has been damaged in the front end. I am looking for any suggestions on how to fix this. It has such a great body on it. I know I am prob going to have to have someone weld a new one in. But getting the parts I am running into problems.

Please tell me there is hope.
'92 VW Cabriolet
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

You need a core support and a hood, not to mention a new a/c condenser and possibly a new radiator, I would replace it any ways.

http://stores.ebay.com/Car-Parts-Wholesale

hood grille condensor radiator

The core you can find but it may take a search or 3.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
ravenfox

Post by ravenfox »

a/c condenser radiator are actually in good condition. The fan was pushed into the power steering res and cut it. So I do need one of those as well. The grille I may be able to use. Hood yes, trying to find one near me as we speak.

So that is what it is called? a core support I mean because my mechanic was calling it a header.. something or other. My other half knows a ton more about cars then I do. I am more the techy geek.
'92 VW Cabriolet
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Core support is correct, it is also often refered to as the rad support.

It will need to be welded on. It also requires the removal of the fenders and naturally the front bumper too.

There is one thing to be aware of here. Since most American built Rabbits had a different headlight set uo, there are differences.

While you are searching, for the rad support make sure you specify that the one you want is for round headlights (often refered to as roundies).

There are aftermarket ones available and one source is Concept-1 here in Calgary. They do ship to the US and are very good (they are all VW people there).

Their web site is http://www.concept1.ca/.

Here is the link where they have the rad support http://www.concept1.ca/Grills%20MK1.htm

Yes you can save the bunny, and Briano is an expert. :lol: He has had a few crunches on his cars and has cosiderable knowlledge that he can pass on.

Best of luck and keep in touch with us. I'm sure that at least one of us will be able to help you.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
ravenfox

Post by ravenfox »

Thank you all for the help so far. A quick question that core support says:

This rad support is pre 1981 Rabbit style. Converts your rectangle headlight car to round headlights.
You can use this rad support on Rabbit, Jetta 1, Cabriolet, & Caddy.

So it fits a '92 cabby? Sorry like I said im new to working on anything other then my '74 I had and a toyota.
'92 VW Cabriolet
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

ravenfox wrote:Thank you all for the help so far. A quick question that core support says:

This rad support is pre 1981 Rabbit style. Converts your rectangle headlight car to round headlights.

So it fits a '92 cabby? Sorry like I said im new to working on anything other then my '74 I had and a toyota.

That one looks to be correct...... The mech could be referring to the piece on the top. But is your bumper didn't get dinged, then I would think the cross brace that is about 50 pounds of box steel is probably ok, and it was just the core support that got wacked... Core support Radiator Support same thing.

The grill can be bought on ebay easy enough, the head light buckets may be needed but let us know I have a parts cabby....that I am getting ready to part out..
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
ravenfox

Post by ravenfox »

I need the top and bottom, I will try to get better pictures once it stops storming. I do need the headlight buckets. The bumper is fine.
'92 VW Cabriolet
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

ravenfox wrote:Thank you all for the help so far. A quick question that core support says:

That's correct. It is the one.

Rabbits built in the U.S. after 1981 had square headlights. These have a different rad support and fenders. All other MK I bodies including the Cabriolet, have the support like the one in the link I sent you.

Don't be sorry about questions like this. This is the best way to learn the things you need.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

If you tell us where the car is currently located that would be a great help, because from the look of the license plate on the motor bike that appears to be OHIO..... can't tell but that is what the outline looks like.

As if you were nearer to Atlanta GA area, I may be able to hook you up. I won't ship the hood or the core support that I have it is just tooooooo much trouble...

Besides the cost of shipping the boxing them up would be a royal pain in the arse....

As I am trying to clean up my garage and crap, they would be yours for the taking as long as you came and got them.

I know how much time and effort I had to jump through to get a bumper...
like November -thru-January.........
Briano

1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

hell, if your in ohio i can get you a WHOLE parts cab for a little bit of nothing.
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

You better not part our your cabby :evil: :P
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Calimus wrote:You better not part our your cabby :evil: :P
After today I may just part the Green one like the dead sea, I am gonna do a Moses on it....

I need to replace the ignition switch, and well I found out that.
1. The Dash has never been out of the car as all the bottom screws are in it.
2. The Knee pad has never been off as all the screws are in it to....... and I am a little Pisseded at it............. I know it is not the cabby's fault... But I got a new Caliper to put on the cab, to replace the sticky one and a new set of pads.. so what should I do... what should I do.....

Then the ETKNA says that the transmission relay is in position 14, when the Bentley says 15.... Trouble is that there is no relay in 15 and the on in 14 is for the rad fan....

Damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn and my hands look like they have been in a cat fight.....

On a side note I did get the Airbag out and the Wheel off....
Briano

ravenfox

Post by ravenfox »

1lowcab wrote:hell, if your in ohio i can get you a WHOLE parts cab for a little bit of nothing.
Yes I am in fact in Cleveland Ohio. I am not sure what I would do with a whole parts cab lol But if we could work out to get the parts I need I would adore you lol.
'92 VW Cabriolet
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

i'll tell you what, shoot me a PM of the parts you need and i'll make a few calls this weekend and see what i can come up with.
i'm pretty sure i can find the parts you need.

i'm in Mount Vernon OH BTW.
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by gull »

Briano1234 wrote:Besides the cost of shipping the boxing them up would be a royal pain in the arse....
Actually, you probably wouldn't need to box up the hood. Just slap a UPS label on it. UPS will take bare parts as long as any sharp edges are protected.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force