Brake noise

Post body issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Caddycabby
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Brake noise

Post by Caddycabby »

I installed new drums and wheel bearings. I removed the fancy wheels (they were rubbing on the springs) the metalic noise is still there but quieter and there is a new noise coming from I believe the left rear wheel. Its kind of a rubbing sound that gets louder and faster as speed increases. I'm out of ideas. I don't know how to adjust the drum and pads or if thats even possible. so again, any Ideas?
No chowder for you, cause clams have feelings too.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Brake noise

Post by Briano1234 »

Caddycabby wrote:I installed new drums and wheel bearings. I removed the fancy wheels (they were rubbing on the springs) the metalic noise is still there but quieter and there is a new noise coming from I believe the left rear wheel. Its kind of a rubbing sound that gets louder and faster as speed increases. I'm out of ideas. I don't know how to adjust the drum and pads or if thats even possible. so again, any Ideas?
the pads have a little spring loaded fulcrum. as you apply the brakes they expand and when they expand enough the spring loaded fulcrum pulls down a notch, so they are self adjusting...

If the brake keepers are not holding the shoes tight they can rub on the drum.

I would of replaced the rear shoes if I was doing the drums and bearings that way you don't have to repack the bearing more than once.

The bearings if tightend too much can cause a grinding sound. I usually tighten the nut as much as I can, with a cresent, not torquing the nut, then
back of to align the castle with the cotter hole. If you have the wheel off and spin the drum there shouldn't be too much drag, and very little noise.
maybe a shoop shoop a bit as the shoes are seating......

After driving the car are the rims...hot to touch, that would indicate a dragging break. If your e-brake cables broke internally then they could be keeping the brakes engaged. I have had that happen. as brake cables don't just snap break, they brake a strand at a time.. and the strand looses tension to the main cable and can snag on the jacket...and bind in the casing.. either opened (loose) or closed as in engaged.

One way to verify is to remove both drums, and watch the action while applying the e-brake to see the cable fully extend and retract.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Caddycabby
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by Caddycabby »

wow, thanks for the info. you know your stuff :D
No chowder for you, cause clams have feelings too.