R&R windshield

Post body issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Caddycabby
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

R&R windshield

Post by Caddycabby »

How do you remove a windshield? Its for the $200 fox I just bought. Its not a cabby is that allowed :?:
No chowder for you, cause clams have feelings too.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Sure, you can post that here we don't really mind, I don't have a clue tho............
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by gull »

Does the Fox use a rubber pop-in seal, or is it a glued-in windshield? If it's a rubber seal, the safest way is to sacrifice the seal by cutting it around the windshield with a knife, then have someone help you lift the windshield out. Keep it upright. If you store it flat, it will eventually crack from its own weight.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
Caddycabby

Post by Caddycabby »

How about putting it back in?
No chowder for you, cause clams have feelings too.
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by gull »

If it's a rubber seal, it goes in the same way any pop-in window does. The Cabriolet rear window is an example of this type; for that reason, the instructions for replacing the top, or step 10 in this procedure, have a good description of the process. Basically, you put the seal on the glass, wrap a strong nylon cord around the channel in the seal a few times, lube everything up, and then have someone press against the glass as you pull on the cord to draw the inner lip of the seal over the metal flange on the body. Not complicated, but it can be frustrating.

Be prepared to deal with rust under the seal after removing the windshield. It's very common for the metal to rust away under the seal and cause leaks.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force