Post body issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Are your Doors Sagging?

Post by Briano1234 »

Well it is Wednesday class, and it is time for us to get rid of those Saggy door blues.....

Being as anal as I am sometimes can get to be a pain now I know that replacing the hinge pins is the best way to do it, but the 1/4 Dutch in me tells me, ahhhh shim it.

Here is how to shim the sag out of your doors, you have to have a good eye and do not get a washer that is too thick to begin with..get a couple of varying thickness and use the one that gets all the sag out.

I have been bothered by my drivers door sagging and getting real close to scraping the threshold, and the lines of the car were just not quite right.

So I measured both sides.

Drivers door

Then I compared it to the passenger side door.

First thing I did was locate a washer that would fit a 8mm bolt

I then sliced a notch out of it, so that it would slide over the bolt and I wouldn't have to completely take the bolt out of the hinge.

To move the door up at the bottom you adjust the top bolt, so you loosen the bolt so that there is enough of the head sticking out so you can get the washer on the bolt.

Then you open the door and get the hinge to pop away in the middle.
Insert your washer between the hinges and onto the bolt.

Then holding the washer in place, tighten the bolt to bind the washer a bit.

Next, you hold up on the door handle and push in to the car, you will see the distance in the door hinge move closer to the body hinge and finish tightening the bolt, this forces the door to the original position.

Once the bolt is tightened you can let go of the door and give the bolt another little umph.

Now close the door, make sure that the door striker engages correctly, any bind when you open or close it will mean that you have to adjust the striker. Usually up a bit.

Then measure your work

That is all there is to it. This will make your window glass fully engage the top seal when closed, and possibly get another little noise and wet spot to abate.....

Enjoy....
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by Calimus »

Nice one brian. I was leaning to the "replace the pin" side, but I think I'll join the darkside and shim as well.

Your photo skills are getting much better with every technote. Keep up the good work. I'm thinking about create a special forum just for technotes, or collecting it all and adding it to the main site. Then maybe folks would know something was actualy at toplessrabbit.com rather then toplessrabbit.com/forums LOL.

One of the weekends/weeks Brain, we need to get together with a few beers, go over the "crabby cabby" and your "little green machine", figure out some things to cleverly fix, gather the parts needed, drink, then work while taking pics.

Not to mention, last time you were out, we couldn't get a photo shoot of the two cars together. Let me know what you think.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Well, as I was driving number one son to school, I lowered the window, and walllllllla it wouldn't go back up. The feed thru wires were broken.
So pull the door apart and then repair the wires........

Actually that might not be a bad idea.... I have two front wheel bearings to replace, and I haven't gotten to them yet and since I don't have a press.......

Now that I haven't been outsourced this year most likely next.

Since that is about all that is left.....to do.... :) is it ever really finished?

And I do have a passle full of LED's.....
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by Calimus »

ooohhhh, I forgot you were the LED king. Good news about the outsourcing, well sorta anyway. An yessir, I have a press. The process still sucks, but it can be done, thats for sure. I'd like to try the bearing in the freezer method this time to see how much better it works.

So, sounds like it's all a good idea. Now we just have to figure out the when. Since my schedule is basicly a normal 9-6 gig, maybe you should pic the dates. I don't remember what your shcedule was like.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

I'll run to the Yard and get some sockets...for the bulbs....

:)

It will be a couple of weeks, as they let 12 people go on my team, and we have to figure out the new schedule...WFR (work force reduction) not really, they moved all the jobs to Costa Rica and India... the american way...... F' the workers....
Briano

kuklaki
Admin Type Person

Post by kuklaki »

Oh, I am so relieved. From the title of this thread, i thought for sure I'd have to use some gentle moderation rights for the first time :P :wink:

Nice writeup, thank you for the information!! One of these days, I'll get some of the tech help organized as a clickable. *sigh* Bad me! Bad!
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)