rear seatbelts spec pls

Post body issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

cabriaulait
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

rear seatbelts spec pls

Post by cabriaulait »

my cab has not got full seatbelts, just lapbelts, with family n all the first mod i want to do(that ive told the wife about) is upgrade them. i believe that american cars have them as standard could someone tell/show me where the rear mounting goes , my garage is very concerned that if he fits one it wont be up to our very stringent british yearly roadworthiness test. so abit of evidence may convince him

cheers
87 cabriolet quartett edt work in progress
dubchickshubby

Post by dubchickshubby »

The rear seats here have laps only(at least on both of mine they do). They bolt in under the bottom cushion. If it wasn't so damn cold here (currently 8F 12" snow) I'd unbolt my seat and snap a photo.

The two phillips head screws tabbed in front of the bottom cusion is what you want to remove. Slide the seat forward and take a peek underneath.

If the previous owner wasn't a total twit he just tucked them underneath. They may just be sitting there out of harm's way waiting for someone with some sense to liberate them!
Her car, my tools. It's all about sharing!
///Ocean State Dubs
'87 red/white Cabby
'92 Triple white Cabby(an 8V decked and overbored nightmare. 303 Cam baybee!)
dubchickshubby

Post by dubchickshubby »

Errr. Nevermind. I just saw that you do have laps. I need some sleep... :oops:
Her car, my tools. It's all about sharing!
///Ocean State Dubs
'87 red/white Cabby
'92 Triple white Cabby(an 8V decked and overbored nightmare. 303 Cam baybee!)
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Yup '87s only have lap belts in the rear. That's for Europe and North America.

However, (I could be mistaken) but I do believe that the last one or two years of manufacture ("91 and '92) the rear seats did have the shoulder harness as well in the rea seats. If so it just becomes a matter of finding on at your local wreckers.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

CalAltaDubber wrote:Yup '87s only have lap belts in the rear. That's for Europe and North America.

However, (I could be mistaken) but I do believe that the last one or two years of manufacture ("91 and '92) the rear seats did have the shoulder harness as well in the rea seats. If so it just becomes a matter of finding on at your local wreckers.
93.5 have the rear shoulder belts. that is why the boots are different.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
tolusina

Re: rear seatbelts spec pls

Post by tolusina »

cabriaulait wrote:... could someone tell/show me where the rear mounting goes .....
My '92 has factory 3 point rear belts, I can take a pic of the mounting if you like. Pics won't have a rear seat for visual reference though, rear seat has been removed.
The shoulder belt section does have an additional, welded tower sort of bracket, you'll need to fabricate something similar for them to be truly effective rather than for show.
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

In the States, '91.5-'93 Cabriolets received rear shoulders belts to meet federal laws.

See this VWvortex thread for reference, pics and further info: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2198908

:beer:
cabriaulait

Post by cabriaulait »

thanks for that link, that should shut my moaning mechanic up! are mechanics all the same do u think, maybe it comes with the terittory!
87 cabriolet quartett edt work in progress
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

cabriaulait wrote:thanks for that link, that should shut my moaning mechanic up! are mechanics all the same do u think, maybe it comes with the terittory!
Naw, a mechanic is a mechanic. Though it is fun to to prove them wrong sometimes.

That is when you are talking about a true mechanic vice a "glorified parts changer".

Another link that might help is this one:
http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/categ ... tegoryID=6
This is the forums from Bently Publishers. They produce all of the tech manuals for VW (at least in North America).

Bently's people do monitor the threads and do reply with the type of information you are looking for.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
tolusina

Post by tolusina »

cabriaulait wrote:..... are mechanics all the same do u think, maybe it comes with the terittory!
HEY!! I resemble that remark!! LOL