new top just installed............

Post body issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Travis
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

new top just installed............

Post by Travis »

hello everyone. Just joined and also just had a new top installed on my ( new to me) 1988 cabby. The problem I have is that there is two gaps in the seals where it looks like the roof fols when you put it down. this gap is aprrox a couple of inch's from the pillar. I cant seam to remeber it there. Did they forget to install something or did they installer not install the roof properly?
I hope I described the problem good enough. I'm tired of having a wet rearend
kuklaki
Admin Type Person
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by kuklaki »

I am having trouble visualizing this, do you have a digi cam to take a pic?
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

I think I know what you're talking about and, if so, it's due to the side tension cables not being installed at all, being installed incorrectly, or re-using the old cables which then broke during the installation process.

As Cristine said, pictures would help us understand more clearly what the problem is. :thumbup: :wink:

Oh, and welcome to TRF! :D
Travis

Post by Travis »

Ok lets try this again. What it looks like is the seal that is attached to the roof has a slight gap...........maybe 1/8-1/4 inch. It is where the seal is 2 parts. HHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM............ : :? You know when you put the top down the seal splits open from the other seal ? This is where the slight gap is. Is there a gasket or another seal that goes between these two seals ?
Hope that helped
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Travis wrote:Ok lets try this again. What it looks like is the seal that is attached to the roof has a slight gap...........maybe 1/8-1/4 inch. It is where the seal is 2 parts. HHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM............ : :? You know when you put the top down the seal splits open from the other seal ? This is where the slight gap is. Is there a gasket or another seal that goes between these two seals ?
Hope that helped
That is because they moved up too far, just bull it back till it meets.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Travis

Post by Travis »

thanks. Will give it a try. Is there any in or out adjustment for the windows?
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Travis wrote:thanks. Will give it a try. Is there any in or out adjustment for the windows?
yes there is, look at the bentley and that pretty much sums it up
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Travis

Post by Travis »

Thanks briano. I dont have the Bently manual, but will try to find one to buy here in Vancouver. Just had the new roof installed but I still have some leaks to take care of.
Travis

Post by Travis »

So I pulled the seal like you said. Bought a manual. Its not the bently one it's the hayes.............not that detailed for some work. What i did do was remove the door card, clean out the bottom of the door and blow all the crap that has built up there. Adjusted the widow'd as much as I could. Installed some new vapour barrier. So hpefully this will help out with some water issues Im having
kuklaki
Admin Type Person
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by kuklaki »

Keep us posted on your progress. A good top-job and proper adjustments should eliminate leaking issues 8)
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)
Travis

Post by Travis »

kuklaki wrote:Keep us posted on your progress. A good top-job and proper adjustments should eliminate leaking issues 8)
thanks for the encouragement. Its been raining like crazy the last few weeks, and I am realy tired of getting wet. Gonna pull the carpets out in the next few days and try and get them to dry out. if not new ones are fairly cheap. Next on the list is a lowering kit. After seing all the cabb's sitting lower than stock and looking so good I'm feeling the need to drop it