Installing a new top, is it very difficult?

Post body issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Dub Delay

Installing a new top, is it very difficult?

Post by Dub Delay »

I'm pretty good when it comes to mechanical things, heck I can fix just about anything, cars, bikes, plumbing, electrical, computers, etc. But I can't properly make a bed, or even fold a shirt properly. :oops:

I downloaded a pdf on replacing a cabby top, and it doesn't seem like it would be that difficult. Has anyone done the deed of replacing their top? Do you think I should attempt it? My wife can help me. She can fold clothes and make a bed. :D
It takes a real man to drive a bunny....
theonlychuck
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by theonlychuck »

it's not too terribly bad, but it helps if you have two people. my dad and myself put a new one on mine last year, i'll see if i can dig up some info on it for ya if you'd like. oh yeah here's some usefull information: you'll have to replace your side tension cables (you have to cut them to get them off) so buy a pair of those, but you don't have to replace your rear tension cable if it's still good so try to keep that intact since it's around $100 (unless you're cheap like me, then you can make your own at the local hardware shop for $5).
-=(chuck)=-
Dub Delay

Post by Dub Delay »

Oh believe me, I'm cheap. :lol:

How did you make yours?

I don't know if mine needs replacement, but going from everything else on this car it probably will.
It takes a real man to drive a bunny....
lowredcabrio

Post by lowredcabrio »

Viel Gluck! ;)
Lukai
check out my cabby here
|c|a|b|b|y| My Anti-Drug
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Replacement tops run about $250 -$350 (US) and from what I understand, aren't too hard to do.

I had a shop do mine, cost $800 (CDN). One from the auto wreckers (frame, window included) is about $500 (CDN)

Lots of choice out there.

Basically, if the top isn't cut, and the stiching is not falling out. It's good.

Just be careful with the latching handles. You don't want to know what a replacement one costs.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
theonlychuck

Post by theonlychuck »

http://www.cabrioworld.com has tops for under $200 (i think it was like 160 or something). for the rear cable i measured the original cable and just went to the hardware store, got a plastic coated wire about the same thickness and about 2 feet longer, 2 eye screws that had the same diameter and thread pitch as the original ends (just cut off the original end and took it with me and found a nut that fit it, then got an eye screw that fit that nut) and a garage door clamp set and used the small clamp that's actually only supposed to be a stopper for the chain, but i threaded one end of the cable through, looped it through the eye screw and threaded it back through the clamp, then smashed it with vice grips or something of the sort to really crimp it. repeat for the other side and that was it.
-=(chuck)=-
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Chuck,

I plan on following your advice on the top cable......as I snapped mine putting my new top on. Of course I am been doing this for about 1.5 years now...lol I just noticed the other day that my sides on the top were loosening, and the back isn't as tight as it should be.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy: