Intermittent Horn Honking on turns and Bumps?

Post electrical issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Intermittent Horn Honking on turns and Bumps?

Post by Briano1234 »

Yes I have a 90 Cabriolet with the airbag, but this is the fix ror a non-airbagged unit as well.

After Power, Removing the airbag, removing the wheel, undoing the 3 phillips that hold the clock spring in place, I quickly found the issue.

All 3 of the screws had backed out, well they were Stripped......Dangnabit.

I know this part is required to correctly repair the thing.

But not having one and not wanting to be down a car and the dreaded drill the old to get out the ignition switch bs.........

With my micrometer in hand, I tore off to my ACE hardware store Pick-a-Nut section.

The 3 screws that hold that thing to the bearing housing had backed out and occasionally were touching providing ground to honk the horn...

I found that #6 1 1/2" Stainless Steel Sheet Metal Screws where the a little less than the diameter of the OEM screws body as the OEM screws ends are smaller diameter than the base. I had hoped that the Sheet metal screws would cut new threads in to the existing housing....

I carefully inserted the screw and it slid in to the Bearing housing not bothering the plastic turn signal/washer stalks....
I tightened them carefully and got them to cut a new thread and full seat the plate to the bearing assembly. Replacing the clock spring (remember on airbags you have to spin it one way to the stop, then reverse it counting the full turns to the stop, then divide by half and install it. Once the wheel was back on and tight I checked the continuity of the thing and it was now not shorted when I moved the wheel by hand. Re-connected the battery and started the car.. Presto no horn..... No matter how I turned or pulled on the wheel....Yippie..... Well I should say the horn works only when you depress the buttons now,,,,,

Another Irish Engineered Sunday afternoon fix....

Hopes this helps.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy: