Instrument cluster issues

Post electrical issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Cabbyresto
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Instrument cluster issues

Post by Cabbyresto »

Love this site! First post and have quite a few questions but starting with a 1987 Cabby I'm "fixing" for a friend of mine and it's going to be a lot of "resto".
Problem is the instrument cluster gauges not working. Did the "plumping" of the big connector and added the ground wire per Briano's posts (thank you) but my big question is that I need to know if there is SUPPOSED to be another harness connector that goes in the back of the speedo housing. It's a 6 pin connector on the Mylar but i can't seem to find this harness!! Bentley manual says to disconnect the large and the "small" connectors when taking out the cluster but I can only find the white large one.
Also, the instructions for testing the voltage stabilizer is kind of confusing. It says to connect to the ground at the stabilizer but then says you have to ALSO connect a ground to the battery. Do I run TWO grounds for my voltmeter or just the one at the stabilizer??
Lots of help here and I have learned a lot about these cars from the site. Thank you!
Jeff.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992

Re: Instrument cluster issues

Post by Briano1234 »

the 10v stabilizer the middle leg is ground, the other 2 legs are 10V and battery.
If you have nothing on either leg, to the middle then use a frame ground to test the 2 outside legs.

The second connector is used for Cruise, and Airbag, I am pretty sure that you only need the main 14 pin connector.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Cabbyresto
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by Cabbyresto »

Good to know on the smaller connector. Don't know the history on this car. I guess it would be there if it had cruise. Def not airbag for a 1987.
So just to be clear on testing stabilizer, voltmeter ground probe on pin 2 and then positive probe on #1 then #3 to check the voltage? Then if no voltage, voltmeter ground probe to frame ground the positive probe to #1 and #3??
I'm a whiz on mechanical of all systems but electrical troubleshooting is not my strong suit!
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992

Post by Briano1234 »

yepper the Bentley is correct on the position.

Tell me what you got (key on) and I can usually narrow down your scope of investigation.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy: