Starting issues

Post electrical issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

wvcyclist
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Starting issues

Post by wvcyclist »

Hey folks. I"m new to the forum, and I bought my first Cabby last year for my daughter to use as her college commuter. Runs great, but I've had starter issues. To begin, the cabby would start great, but after some time was put on the starter, it would not disengage from the flywheel when starting. I have put three new starters on, and each one would work great for awhile, but then develop the same problem. I finally decided to check the relays, as this cabby has had the starter re-wired with the relays. I bought two relays with the throw diagrams matching the ones that were on the cabby. However, after hooking things back up, the cabby now engages the starter when the key is turned only to the run position. I marked all the wires as I took them off of the original relays, and made sure that I put them back the same. Any ideas what might be going wrong? Thanks.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Starting issues

Post by Briano1234 »

Automatic, or Manual.

Automatics there are 2 styles of starters one for a Solid flexplate and one for a spoked flexplate, there is a difference.

If you are talking about the heat soak relay, you may have had the wires crossed.

Normally there aren't any relays in a 89 for the starter.
The advent of the heat soak relay (www.cabby-info.com) is to route the current off the ignition switch to the
Relay... you use about 2 to 3 amps to pick the relay which switches the 40 amps to the starter.

Sounds like a mismatch or bad rebuild of the starter.
I once got 5 bad alternators in a row.....spiff happens.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
wvcyclist
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by wvcyclist »

Briano,
I have a good rebuilt Bosch starter. My issue is, when I start the Cabby, the starter wants to keep running. The car starts, but the starter won't disengage from the flywheel. It's an automatic, solid flywheel. The starter would work OK for a while, but then start failing to disengage from the flywheel. Now my new starters won't disengage at all. So, I turned my attention to the relays, thinking that they may be sticking. The pic is of the original relays, and their repalcements. As I unhooked the wires from the relays, I labeled the wire and the pole, so I would know how to hook them back up. I wondering if I purchased the correct replacement relays. Can you have a look at the picture and tell me if the ones on the left are the correct replacements for the ones on the right? Thanks!!
relays.jpg
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

I would suspect the Starter... as in the bendix isn't kicking it back.
You could also have the wrong starter....
A solid flex plate starter in a spoked flex will chew it up....
I would suppose that you may also not have enough back lash...
Lastly it could be your ignition switch isn't releasing from Start...

Now if you are using the relays as a heat soak, they can get toasted, that is why we say to use a Ford Starter Relay...
They take 100Amps....

with the starter disconnected, I would cycle the ignition switch to verify that it isn't the issue as in hanging.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
marius12
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by marius12 »

May car had starting issue also and the problem was the leaking vacuum.